Author Topic: Positive tiller guys, how much do you do? 1/8"? 1/4"?  (Read 19762 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Positive tiller guys, how much do you do? 1/8"? 1/4"?
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013, 05:29:44 pm »
Yeah this is all well and good assuming your bow is straight in the first place!
I never measure it, although I do look for symmetry of the lower limb a tad stiffer.
I once had the esteemed Robert Hardy (who wrote Longbow) tell me one of my longbows was built upside down >:(
Maybe I should have bit my tongue, but I popped off the string and showed him the natural deflex in the lower limb :).

Yeah, that il do it, and thats a very good point, that I think Simson was touching on as well. If you start out with a stave, that has a deflexed limb and a straight or reflexed limb, the deflexed limb will 99 percent of the time come out stronger, as it is moving less. Some bows can have a negative tiller, like simson pointed out, but still draw balanced and work balanced.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Keenan

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 06:20:00 pm »
 Great discusion, with many valid points,

Dell I have felt the same about the limbs hitting home at the same time,IE (Only when string is taunt.) But I think it can greatly affect how the stored energy is absorbed back into the limbs when that happens. Braced profile has much to do with this as well. When those strings hit taunt the wave of energy ripples through the bow and can be absorbed in the balanced middle as each limb cancels the other or it can travel past that point depending on timing. I have watched some slow motion effects and it is amazing to see what the bow goes threw when the string comes tight. This was my point earlier about timing and performance but I didn't want to muddy the water with hand shock theories and other factors
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:25:53 pm by Keenan »

Offline Roy

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 06:50:28 pm »
Keenan that's why I use that old fashion B-50 so it let's the bow relax slowly like a shock absorber, compared to the high tech strings that stop the limbs like they just hit a brick wall. The Indians knew this also, that's why they didn't use white man fastem flight:)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 06:55:36 pm »
Keenan that's why I use that old fashion B-50 so it let's the bow relax slowly like a shock absorber, compared to the high tech strings that stop the limbs like they just hit a brick wall. The Indians knew this also, that's why they didn't use white man fastem flight:)

Time for a nap old timer.......sssshhhh he is sleeping.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:31:04 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2013, 06:59:43 pm »
Think ya double quoted there son  :)

Think ya double quoted there son :)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:28:44 pm by Keenan »

Offline Keenan

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2013, 07:28:06 pm »
 Now Roy would that be calling the kettle black!  >:D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2013, 07:31:50 pm »
Great discusion, with many valid points,

Dell I have felt the same about the limbs hitting home at the same time,IE (Only when string is taunt.) But I think it can greatly affect how the stored energy is absorbed back into the limbs when that happens. Braced profile has much to do with this as well. When those strings hit taunt the wave of energy ripples through the bow and can be absorbed in the balanced middle as each limb cancels the other or it can travel past that point depending on timing. I have watched some slow motion effects and it is amazing to see what the bow goes threw when the string comes tight. This was my point earlier about timing and performance but I didn't want to muddy the water with hand shock theories and other factors
You don't have a link to the slo mo video do you, that would be cool.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2013, 07:39:53 pm »
I've had bows I give 1/8th inch positive tiller then as it's shot in the positive increases.Which tells me maybe TMK like PD said may be I did'nt work it on the tree enough before shooting it in.No handshock,noiseless release,hitting where I'm looking,maintaining braced profile you started with all tells me my bow is in the right tiller even if it's even tillered or whatever to each bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Keenan

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2013, 08:49:21 pm »
 Del this is not the one I was thinking of but still shows some of the vibrations effects in the bow. And a few others on archers pardox that are cool. I'll keep looking to see if I can find the riight one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvX8z1BlnEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7203B8xbAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzWrcpzuAp8
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:57:05 pm by Keenan »

Offline Roy

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2013, 10:53:38 pm »

Now Mr. Global Moderator, I sense a special edit function on your end. LOL
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:01:28 pm by Roy »

Offline Keenan

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2013, 11:28:47 pm »
 :o :o :o :o >:D What u talkin bout boy!  LOL ;D

Offline Roy

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2013, 10:52:03 am »
BOY?
How about I add your name to the thumpen list? LOL

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2013, 11:24:23 am »
Tmk maybe reincarnated Japanese.
Del this has some slow mo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrOIQRnKcnc

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2013, 11:32:22 am »
I'm sure you know a lot of different things have to do with how a bow keeps it's tiller.Consistency in anchor point maybe.The way a bow is strung.The hand placement  pressure spot on the bows of mine is pretty dead center with the arrow pass 1and1/2" to 1and3/4" above center.Even length limbs.Made em 1and1/2" longer on top and don't notice any difference like Gordon.Got a dogwood 2" longer on top to tiller soon but don't think it'll be different either.I'll tiller that bow evenly.As time goes and more bows made 1/8" and no more positive tiller feels and looks good to me.
That last one keenan was a good one to see exactly what an arrow goes through.He must of progressively shot weaker and weaker spined arrows to have that one explode on him.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2013, 11:43:34 am »
Oh storing them in a stable envirornment means everything too.
BowEd
Ed