Author Topic: Positive tiller guys, how much do you do? 1/8"? 1/4"?  (Read 19760 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Positive tiller guys, how much do you do? 1/8"? 1/4"?
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:29:04 pm »
I'm just curious, I just recently started using more positive tiller than the 1/16" that I have been using. Which would normally place my arrow pass close to center, usually about 1/2" above at the very most. But now I am using a more positive tiller, at about 1/8" or a tiny bit more, as I was having a bit of trouble with my bottom limb becoming overpowered over time. I was wondering, with a positive tiller a little over an 1/8", where would the arrow pass likely end up? I know it can vary sometimes bow to bow, depending on how much the limbs are actually working, and the length of the bow or stiff verses working handle, but in general? I was thinking about 3/4" to 1". I'm wanting to do 1". Now John Strunk in his yew bow build in TBB, puts his arrow pass about 1" above center, and recommends 1/4" positive tiller. 1/4" just looks off way too much to me, but than again maybe I am just a little OCD about what my bows look like at brace.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Positive tiller guys, how much do you do? 1/8"? 1/4"?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:49:58 pm »
Where do you measure your positive tiller on a selfbow? Do you measure it at brace or full draw or both? When I make bows I make the bottom limb slightly stiffer. With the unevenness of selfbows I don't know how you can measure positive tiller with any accuracy...especially when you are talking fractions of an inch.    ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:56:05 pm »
Where do you measure your positive tiller on a selfbow? Do you measure it at brace or full draw or both? When I make bows I make the bottom limb slightly stiffer. With the unevenness of selfbows I don't know how you can measure positive tiller with any accuracy...especially when you are talking fractions of an inch.    ???

The way I do it is use a ruler and measure at brace height, by measuring from limb to string in the same spot on each limb. When I say that I used to measure 1/16th of and inch, I mean more of less, I really didn't try to get an exact measurement, just enough to qualify one limb as the stronger bottom limb, and one limb as the weaker top limb. Most the time I just eyeball it with a fist melee though, and lots of shooting to make sure. I don't have the right set up to measure positive tiller at full draw. 

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:35:00 pm »
Greetings tmns,pretty sure I'm not the only one that does't know what p/t is!a breif explanation would be excellent!th'xs. Bobbyjoe
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:03:43 pm »
Positive tiller. Is when one limb is bending more than the other.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:11:34 pm »
I don't have a great answer for you except that I have followed John Strunk's process to make several yew longbows and I'm really happy with the results. I'm also interested in playing around with this concept though and I'm not sold on any one explanation yet.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 10:22:30 pm »
1/4" or so stiffer according to the eye at full draw. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 10:48:48 pm »
 I aim for 1/8 positive bottom limb. Measuring just past fade each side, bottom limb should be even or up to 1/4" less on the ruler. I like 1/8th"  Bow just feels more in time when shooting.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:59:59 pm »
I'm with Pat.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 11:21:29 pm »
It's really only positive tiller due to one  limb bending more if the limbs are the same length or maybe if the lower limb is longer and the upper limb actually does also bend more.
 A bow with an upper limb an inch longer and a slight positive looking tiller is only looking like that because the limb tip automatically registers further because it is longer, not because it is weaker.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 11:33:56 pm »
I aim for 1/8 positive bottom limb. Measuring just past fade each side, bottom limb should be even or up to 1/4" less on the ruler. I like 1/8th"  Bow just feels more in time when shooting.

Thats about what I do. I am moving from about 1/16" to about 1/8" or so. Can I ask you where you place your arrow pass typically? Like, 1/2" above center, 1 1/2" above center, etc?

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 12:13:10 am »
Quote from ©Dean Torges:

4.When bow limbs are of equal length, to make both limbs synchronous, the bowyer MUST make the upper limb slightly weaker to match the longer lower limb so that they recoil at exactly the same speed.

5.If your bow has equal length limbs outside the handle, and there is a greater gap between the string and limb in one limb [positive tiller], you should turn it so that that limb is the upper limb and shoot it that way.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Roy

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 12:49:43 am »
I love + and - tiller threads! It reminds me of several dogs chasing their tails, while the rabbit slips away:)
Every bow is going to be slightly different in how they shoot. It's better to tiller for a smooth shooting bow than to say well I'm just going to put in a 1/8th positive tiller.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:31:25 am by Roy »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 06:47:26 am »
I shoot for 1/8 but am happy with 3/16 ,didn't know it changed your arrow pass ??? built hundereds and didn't know that. :) If anything my bottom get weaker over time,not much usually if I am careful braceing it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JonW

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 09:31:37 am »
I guess when I start worrying about if my tiller matches the front profile, I might start thinking about positive and negative tiller ;) To be serious though, I've always thought about it like PatM commented.