Author Topic: Where did i go wrong  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Ozzy

Where did i go wrong
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:24:26 pm »
Where did I go wrong it look good on the tree and with the gizmo its 64 ntn and a 1/4 sawn ash board
Thanks Ozzy
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline Weylin

Re: Where did i go wrong
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:30:01 pm »
To me it seems too stiff just out of the handle area, it could definitely bend more there. Other than that the top limb looks decent. The bottom limb on the other hand is under way too much stress. Can you see how it's bending considerably in the mid-to outer 1/3 of the limb. Thats called a hinge and it's bad news. I think a lot of work would need to be done to bring this bow back to a healthy tiller. It may be prudent to start a new one and chalk this up to a learning experience. Or you could just do your darndest to fix this one with the understanding that it will likely be way under weight.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:50:08 pm »
Maybe turning 180 if you don't have a shelf cut out and reassess,the bottom is naturally under more stress if it's symmetrical tiller
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:02:19 pm »
Here it is 180

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:02:38 pm »
I would give it the good old heat treat where it bends too much treatment, with an added dose of standard 2 inches off each limb tip, and retiller as needed. Top limb is what you are after. It looks good, but you will need to shorten it only to match the lower. If all that doest work, make it a bendy handle bow and chop off another inch or two as needed.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:04:54 pm »
Even iff you can't get that limb to be perfect, you will have a whip tillered bow. Nothing wrong with that. Just make your limbs match.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 10:07:19 pm »
Ill give it a try thanks for all your in put :laugh:

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 10:11:03 pm »
I would heat treat the snot out of the top limbs outer third!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:13:58 pm »
Hold on. We need to be clear about which limb we're talking about now because he posted a picture of the bow flipped over. In the original picture the bottom limb was hinged.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:20:38 pm »
Forgot to mention to clamp it up in reflex when heat treating,maybe 2" to start with,exercise the crap out of it,fling some not full draw arrows thru ,wear safety glasses and and check your tiller! The 180 looks better to me.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 10:54:40 pm »
I had a similar thing happen to an osage bow on the upper limb.   Since it didn't set I sinewed it.  A month later I could barely pull it.  I retillered and now it is normal again.  If it takes little or no set then that's what I would do, otherwise I would scrap it.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 12:40:01 am »
If you fix that hinged spot you can expect a smoother draw, on the less well tillered limb the string angle looks pretty high   
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.