Author Topic: Rookie Fletching  (Read 3274 times)

Offline bow101

Rookie Fletching
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:52:50 pm »
Can't afford a fletching jig at this point in time. How does one apply the feathers, (fletching) to the shaft at the proper angle. They do have to be applied that way correct, or you will end up with a flu-flu.......? ;)

Ok I did look at the primitive fletching jig that was posted. Buy I'm thinking along the lines of an old metal paper clip. I have some ideas when I get one I'll post it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:35:20 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Dictionary

Re: Rookie Fletching
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:05:03 pm »
eastern 2 fletch jigless has been working well for me.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:52:14 pm »
eastern 2 fletch jigless has been working well for me.

Dictionary, could you please elaborate on the eastern 2 fletch jigless..? Where could I find that..?   
cheers,

Offline agd68

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:30:00 am »
Go to the How To section. Jackcrafty has a how to on Eastern Woodland fletches.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 11:50:42 am »
There's also an excellent two fletch video on the tube. I believe if you search for southeastern two fletch, you'll find it. Mine are a bit more modern in that I wrap with silk that I soak in thin super glue and I glue fl. pink plastic nocks on (so I can find them easier)

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:29:45 pm »
When i say jigless i mean not using a jig of course  ::)

I've never owned one let alone even seen one besides some on the internet. I probably will never use one haha. Nothing against them, just find it simpler to just put the fletchings on my hand where i want to when i want to.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 02:40:18 pm »
When i say jigless i mean not using a jig of course  ::)

I've never owned one let alone even seen one besides some on the internet. I probably will never use one haha. Nothing against them, just find it simpler to just put the fletchings on my hand where i want to when i want to.
I understand the "Jigless" part it's the "eastern 2 fletch" kind of like quoting the "southern 2 step"]

... :laugh:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 02:33:57 pm »
Here are 2 types of fletching that you don't need a fletchingh jig. The Eastern Woodland/Cherokee style and a three feather tangential fletch, utilizing 3 smaller(4"-5")full feathers. Both styles work great for target shooting or hunting.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 11:12:44 pm »
Those arrows look real pretty, like the broad heads.

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:40:41 pm »

So I got a massive paper clip. What angle would I build up the clip to for fletching. There is a slight spiral, could it be a number of degrees..? 

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 04:25:04 pm »
I've become a huge fan of eastern two fletch. Flies great and it's quieter. Cooler looking IMO too!