Author Topic: A hackberry bow that is in progress...  (Read 25617 times)

Offline toomanyknots

A hackberry bow that is in progress...
« on: January 12, 2013, 11:48:54 pm »
Here's a hackberry bow I am working on. It is 63 5/8" NTN. It is feeling like it will probably end up around 45# - 50# @ 28", probably closer to 45#. The stave was deflexed to begin with, as well as it seems to be a lighter piece of hackberry, so it will probably take a bit of set.

There is a kink in the upper limb that causes it to be deflexed, as well as appear hinged off the fade, just to get that out there, as it does appear to be hinged, I don't know if these pictures will show it though.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline sleek

Re: A hackberry bow that is in progress...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:28:44 am »
Never a stronger critic than the artist of his own work.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline steve b.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:51:54 am »
Looks great.  I like the amount of recurve.  Sexy, if I may?

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 09:15:23 am »
I'd be very happy if I had a finished bow that looks as good as your "in progress" bow!  Looks great!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 10:01:56 am »
Never a stronger critic than the artist of his own work.

Very true.

Looks great.  I like the amount of recurve.  Sexy, if I may?

;D, I actually intended there to be more reflex when I made these reflex forms, but because it seems I screwed the forms up, it only bends in one spot really. Which pulled out almost completely on the last bow I made after tillering. Hackberry seems to keep it's reflex better though. I need to make some new reflex forms sometime.

I'd be very happy if I had a finished bow that looks as good as your "in progress" bow!  Looks great!

I'm sure you've made plenty of bows that are way better than the pathetic bows I make,  ;D. Heck, I still got plenty of time to screw this one up,  ;).

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:22:49 pm »
Looking good there Knots, rested and braced profiles are real nice. Think your on the right track for a fine bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 09:15:59 pm »
I cant wait to see how this one turns out. I have never used hackberry yet but i have a roughed out stave i traded blackhawk out of this last fall thats itching to be a bow.
Steve Bennett

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 10:04:35 pm »
I have never worked hackberry. How would you describe it?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 10:50:17 pm »

It's cooking dead skunk, Stinky And Easy to skin.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 10:51:43 pm »
how easy is it to chase a ring? i have a few pieces that i want to use up and make something nice, im considering using those because they look durable.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 09:57:41 am »
Looking real good! I like those home-made forms too.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 10:24:03 am »
I cant wait to see how this one turns out. I have never used hackberry yet but i have a roughed out stave i traded blackhawk out of this last fall thats itching to be a bow.

Hackberry is a fine wood, but you can't treat it like osage, plain and simple. Although it doesn't have to by any means, typically it will take some set if you don't heat treat it (which I never do). But it will more than make up for it in performance if you do it right IMO. It must be nice and dry too. Although it tends to take some set, it is a very light wood, and can make a very light in the hand, fast shooting, zero handshock bow. When you brace up a nice springy 60# hackberry bow for the first time, you know you got a wicked bow, as the bow has the draw weight of a 60# bow, but feels like it has the physical weight of a childrens bow made of other woods like hickory/hhb/elm/even denser red oak, etc...  >:D. Now to get around the set, you have to go either longer or wider. I usually chose to go longer as the length really doesn't slow the bow down typically because the wood is so physically light. And I think length has a bigger effect on the stresses of a bow verses width, for the most part. I mean IMO you have to go pretty darn wide to reach the same stress reduction as if you went a little bit longer, if that makes any sense...       ...Ya, I'm not the best at explaining things,  8). Like, if I wanna make a zero set hackberry flatbow, of around 60# draw weight at 28", I will:

- Make the bow 70" if the bow has a stiff handle
- Throw the bow in the hot box the day before tillering. Remember, if you tiller a bow right out of the hot box, depending on how hot it gets, you can actually induce set from the bow being so hot. You gotta wait until the bow has cooled down completely.
- Than just proceed as normal, typically I like a pyramid design. Maybe 2" or so at the fades, most likely.

IMO, this bow I am making is under built if I didn't want any set (once again, no heat treating here. Not even considering it's natural deflex as well). As it is only 63 5/8" NTN, and it is not working on the last 4" or so of each limb. It is also a very low density piece of hackberry. Some pieces are better than others, just like all species of wood. Unless I went with a lighter draw weight, which I really didn't wanna do, although I probably should of.  I do plan to pick up a heat gun soon though, so I can stop mis-treating staves,  ;D.

EDIT: Regarding the physical weight, if you've ever worked mulberry, than they are similar in density I usually find. Mulberry might tend to be a tiny bit lighter sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:24:01 am by toomanyknots »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 10:27:31 am »
Looking real good! I like those home-made forms too.

Thank ya Hrothgar! Ionicmuffin, I have never chased a ring on hackberry, so I don't really know, but I imagine if the rings were pretty thick, than it would probably be nice and easy, as hackberry is pretty easy wood to work. Although you really shouldn't have to chase a ring for any reason on hackberry.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 10:49:08 am »
well, i have some bug holes in one  ::) and the other is a split that should yield a bow
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 11:13:34 am »
Looking good to me,I have chased it before for the same reason ,pretty easy to follow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good