Author Topic: Bow Length  (Read 6432 times)

Offline burn em up chuck

Re: Bow Length
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:23 am »
        so you guys are saying build safe, and as a person gains experience start pushing design limits, experience level, types of wood limits, etc.
        trust me i know theres far more too this wonder filled bow building endeavor, but i sometimes over think myself into setting it(the bow) aside and doing something else. instead of making the mistake for the simple experience. I can say most of the time it only takes once for me to learn from a mistake. Maybe thats my point gain your experience and everything you guys are saying will make sense.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 11:33:26 am »
I always build safe. I build safe, solid bows I with which I can hunt and shoot 3d. Pushing limits is great when you run the 1500 meter race. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bow101

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 04:41:11 pm »
But longer does not always equate to a less stacked draw...I believe design and knowing where to put the bend is far more important than length when it comes to stacking issues. For example I have two similar draw and weight bows..one is 52" n the other is 64". The shorter bow is waaaaaaaaay more smoother and will pull a couple inches farther before feeling any sign of stack. Its also very visually noticeably faster than the longer bow..which common physics tells us the longer bow should be faster. And both bows are tillered per mass formula. What makes this so? Design and knowing where to put the bend.
Hawk, how many degrees
do you normally cut your nocks at..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JonW

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 09:00:09 pm »
But longer does not always equate to a less stacked draw...I believe design and knowing where to put the bend is far more important than length when it comes to stacking issues. For example I have two similar draw and weight bows..one is 52" n the other is 64". The shorter bow is waaaaaaaaay more smoother and will pull a couple inches farther before feeling any sign of stack. Its also very visually noticeably faster than the longer bow..which common physics tells us the longer bow should be faster. And both bows are tillered per mass formula. What makes this so? Design and knowing where to put the bend.

I guess I was a little short with my first post. I believe this to be true and was exactly my point when I spoke of Tillering ability. I have focused on short bows for some time now and I think I can have somewhat of a valid opinion.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 09:01:44 pm »
60 inches is optimal length for a bendy handle bow for a 27 in draw.

Enough said  :D
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline JonW

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 09:11:21 pm »
Not for me.

Even more said :D :D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 09:14:42 pm »
Jon is the shortbow guru.

The quality of the stave does a lot to determine the bow length for me.  If it has knots or other imperfections I'll make it a little longer.  If it is a primo piece I'll go shorter.  The bow I made with the bullethole in it was very crumbly osage.  I made that bow a few inches longer than it should have been just so it would survive.   My shortest bow was 49 1/2" long, sinew backed, and 50# at 24"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:25:48 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 10:39:31 pm »
I hate to go off subject but, Jon, i see alot of you guys like ken,half eye, and other who replicate some native bows. Do you guys think the natives drew 25-28 inches? You guys get a ton of bend out of these small peices of wood. Im wondering if the natives even drew that far back....
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline JonW

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 10:44:25 pm »
I would say on the average probably not. Looking at Amerind bows though, there is quite a range in bow length depending on the tribe, region, and availability of wood choices.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 01:01:42 am »
I've been making most of mine stiff handled and in the 58-62" range.The shortest I made was 55" and 27" draw,The longest draw I made one was 29" on a 6o" osage. Both of these were in the 50# range. I guess they say that 28" is standard but I don't know many guys that draw that much. Most I measure up are in the 25-27" range. I don't know why I ended up making them this length. I am going to make a longer one soon though just because I have't made many very long. I surely did enjoy the little shorty though. Makes it easier when creeping through the brush.

Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline JonW

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 02:00:13 am »
Danny, look me up at OJAM and I'll let ya have a go at some legitimate shorties.  8)

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 04:37:25 am »
Seems not to be true for most on here, but I frequently get this question answered simply by the lenght of the piece at hand. More often than not, this is the limit. If I have the lenght to use, I see no point not to use it. If you want a short bow later, there will surely be a shorter piece around, from the longer one I make a longer bow, often it's as simple as that.
Don't shoot!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 06:09:11 am »
I always build safe. I build safe, solid bows I with which I can hunt and shoot 3d. Pushing limits is great when you run the 1500 meter race. :) Jawge
That's me I will leave the high tech and speed stuff to yall.Good conversation tho.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 05:18:53 pm »
That's me I will leave the high tech and speed stuff to yall.Good conversation tho.
   Pappy
I recon that is just the way it is for us older folks!
I usually over build case that is what i want !
Now forty years ago that was a little different story !
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !