Author Topic: Need hot box ideas  (Read 4733 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Need hot box ideas
« on: January 11, 2013, 08:52:39 pm »
I'm thinking its time to make a hotbox for my shop.  I'm looking for some ideas and pics of something I can build easily.  I want to mount it on the wall in my shop above the window.  That is about the only wall space I have left  :(   I don't need anything real big, maybe one that will hold a couple of roughed out bows.  Please post some pics if you can.  I love to see other peoples shops.   Thanks  :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

Re: Need hot box ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 10:06:55 pm »
clint,i have some light bulb fixtures and hinges for one i was going to build.if you want them,they are yours brother.i am not going to get around building one soon.let me know if you want them and they will be in the mail.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:56:54 pm »
outlaw,  This was really low cost and could be mounted on the wall.  Though a foam version might be better for wall mounting. 

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:16:09 am by Carson (CMB) »
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 10:57:40 pm »
That's OK Steve.  You keep them for when you get around to building yours.  I appreciate the offer bud.  I think I might have some light fixtures from when the garage was built. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 10:59:44 pm »
I like that.  Thanks for posting the pics Carson.  What kind of temp. do you get in there?  Do you have a thermostat?

Offline Roy

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:09:32 pm »
Carson nailed it. Almost exactly like mine mounted on the wall.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:41:24 pm »
Wow Roy, I expected you to say you guess it is OK. ;) 

Clint, I get 85-90 F and 20-30% Humidity this time of year when it is 35-40 F and 60-70% most of the time outside of the box (in the attic).  That is with 3 40 watt bulbs.  That is with the end pieces vented just a bit, about a 1/2" space.  If I want it hotter, I throwz a moving blanket over it and keep the ends closed up.  Then it reaches 100.  Changing bulb wattage would give you higher temps yet, if you wanted.  I dont use a thermostat, but it stays surprisingly stable when slightly vented.

I had a couple particle boards given to me.  I hate particle board because here in the northwest the moisture kills it in no time.  But then I looked at the pre-sprayed lines on the thing and thought hot box!  I figured the particle board would hold up for a long time as long I kept the box in steady use. This was made from one 8x4' particle board, a broom handle, and some 2x4 and 1x1 scrap.  I got the fixtures and wire for next to nothing at second hand building supply store.

In the pics I have a 2x4 as a baffle (resting on the three pegs)  I switched to a 3/4" x 6" wide piece of pine running the length of the box and it suits the box much better.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:47:18 pm by Carson (CMB) »
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 12:40:36 am »
Thanks Carson.  I see you had a good assistant

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 01:18:24 am »
yeah, that assistant of mine...he loves to run drills, but I can't seem to get him to help with layout or clean-up.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:26:17 am »
A piece of 4" pvc with a fan blowing through it will dry wood out fast. Or keep it dried out. I have a super cheap, low duty electric heater that just warms the air it blows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:55:55 am »
the heating duct works pretty good too,and its free n no labor involved ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 11:32:41 am »
A piece of 4" pvc with a fan blowing through it will dry wood out fast. Or keep it dried out. I have a super cheap, low duty electric heater that just warms the air it blows.

Pearly, what about that big piece of PVC you sent me that bow in?  I went to ship my trade bow out in that thing but it felt like it weighted 10 lbs empty so I used something else.  Do you put the fan/heater on one end and then flip the bow around every now and then?   I do have a crappy old space heater that blows warm air.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 11:36:04 am »
EXACTLY what I do. It works incredibly fast, you better weigh your bow/stave regulary.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 11:46:07 am »
I think I'll try that before I go and buy the stuff to make one like Carson posted.  I think I have everything I need to make the pipe work.  Might save me some $$.  Thanks Pearly

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 11:50:41 am »
You may be suprised how much you dont use it. Thats why I never built a hot box. Its only once in a while I use my tube. I just bought a humidity/temp gauge. Its digital and changes quickly. I found there is always a 40-50% humidy area in the house to stash wood.