Author Topic: Can I get away without a backing on this one?  (Read 4822 times)

Online sleek

Re: Can I get away without a backing on this one?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 05:40:40 pm »
I wouldnt recurve and hence make a more stressed design of an already questionable board. You are asking for trouble with it breaking. It very may well survive @35# but still, its not going to be your bow. I know somebody who had to have stitches in his head from a bow that blew up, even after he owned that bow for ten years. If you give that bow away, make sure its got rawhide on it and you shot it a lot!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 05:50:35 pm »
If you don't find a straight grained board with possibly 3 or 4 run outs, walk away. If you must use it do back it. I would have never taken it out of the yard. I'm pretty picky about boards. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 06:50:49 pm »
I wouldnt recurve and hence make a more stressed design of an already questionable board. You are asking for trouble with it breaking. It very may well survive @35# but still, its not going to be your bow. I know somebody who had to have stitches in his head from a bow that blew up, even after he owned that bow for ten years. If you give that bow away, make sure its got rawhide on it and you shot it a lot!

sleek I thought he was talking about a different build, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 08:38:35 pm »
Why dont you want a backing?

I was just wanting to try something a little different, but there's always more boards.
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 08:52:03 pm »
Also, I'm not recurving this one, I'm just thinking of future projects.

@George: I've made succesful bows with more grain run-off than this one, each one backed with either linen or drywall tape. Mine rarely go above 50#, so I've found that for the style of bows I crank out proper tillering and good, tight grain are more important, at least in my case.

Online sleek

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 11:14:56 pm »
My misunderstanding, I'm sorry...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 11:55:50 pm »
No problems.  ;D

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 12:21:49 am »
Does shellac have tensile strength? Because that is what is required on the back of a bow. Compression or shear strength will be useless on the back of a bow. While shellac might act as a glue, it does not offer tensile strength. According to your theory, a layer of wall paper glue would even function as a bow backing, right? Shellac could be a good finish for a bow, but it does not serve as a functional backing.

Dark Soul.  I am not saying shellac is a backing material, but I do think it can increase the tensile strength of fibrous material such as wood.  For example, last night I finished a couple dozen arrows with shellac applied with a paper towel. This morning I took the dried out shellac'd paper towel and attempted to rip it.  It took significantly more effort to rip this paper towel than one without shellac.  I am not saying it is a backing material, but sanding a board bows back and applying a number of coats of shellac is better than say, a back left a bit rough and finished in oil.

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 07:03:07 am »
Well, then I respectfully disagree with you :)

A paper towel soaked in oil is easier to tear than a paper towel coated with shellac, right? So that would mean an oil as a finish for a bow would actually weaken the wood?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 11:37:53 am »
Shiloh,
Lay out your bow on this board. Looks like the worst of the run out is on one end. Not a great picture of the other end of the board. If you went with a 68” bow you could 4” off of the worst end and  get a bow out of this board.

If were me asking the question on whether to back it or not….. The advice from several experienced bowyers has been to back it. I would follow that good advice.
1” x 2” x 6’ only gives you 1.5 inches. Red oak is recommended to be 2” wide. You have already extra stress with a less than optimal width on this bow.

Keith

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 02:08:33 pm »
Well, then I respectfully disagree with you :)

A paper towel soaked in oil is easier to tear than a paper towel coated with shellac, right? So that would mean an oil as a finish for a bow would actually weaken the wood?

That is fine.  I am not trying to be an advocate for shellac "backing".  I just felt that if the bow was not going to be backed, then it is a good idea to sand the back very smooth and that coating the back with a strong bioadhesive polymer, such as shellac, would provide some level of splinter lifting prevention, i.e. backing protection.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 02:24:44 pm »
The 1-2#'s of pressure a splinter may generate would rip through 3 coats of shellac as if it wasnt there. I have seen splinters push through sinew wraps and hide glue and that tell me shellac wont do a thing in prevention or holding of splinters.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.