Author Topic: Need Yew advice  (Read 1591 times)

Offline steve b.

Need Yew advice
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:45:17 pm »
This is my first yew bow.  I have a 65" stave just about floor tillered.  It has a pretty consistent 1/4" thick sapwood.  Currently the fades are 1 3/4" wide, midlimb 1.5" wide, with pretty much a pyramid shape.
I don't care so much what comes of it as long as it lives and shoots well--as far as weight I mean.

My questions are these:  The heartwood/sapwood ratio in spots is nearing 50/50 in thickness.  I'm wondering is that matters and whether I should think about thinning the sapwood?
Also, the limbs are very straight but come off a deflexed handle of about 2".  Any advice on whether I should introduce reflex, recurves, or just leave it alone?
Thank you.....

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Need Yew advice
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:52:45 pm »
Leave the sapwood.
Fades look a little sharp.
Recurve the tips.
IMO

That's some good looking yew ;)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:02:01 am »
I'm with Bryce.  It would be hard to reflex that stave much, with that prominent natural deflex.  But if you do a form right, you could reflex just the limbs for a ref/deflex.  I agree also about the fades.  They look a bit abrupt to me.  It looks like once you get your fistmeal in there, you won't have much room for the arrow.  I would taper them out a bit further.  My two cents....
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 12:29:31 am »
Steve, I think Bryce is right on.  I would add that you might want to tiller from the sides of the limbs at this point.  In my experience yew in a bow that length performs much better with a deep belly.

That looks real nice. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 12:50:15 am »
I agree with the above comments as well. You need enough heartwood to reach out to the tips and I think you have plenty for that. The sapwood might be a tad thick by some standards but not enough to hassle with violating the back. Actually, a 1/4" is just about right. Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:00:02 am »
Thanks for the feedback.   Yes, my gut was telling me its time to slow the thinning and think about narrowing.   There is alot more crown to the belly than the pics show, and it will incease.
If you're talking about the fades on the sides of the bow coming off the handle too steep then, yes, the handle is not done.  I will be smoothing those out and increasing the arrow window.
I think I will reflex the tips some but maybe not a true recurve......?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:13:51 am »
Agree , great advice given