Author Topic: MORE ALLIGATOR SKIN TANNING QUESTIONS?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
MORE ALLIGATOR SKIN TANNING QUESTIONS?
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:29:29 pm »
I got the skin, it's the belly from a pretty good sized gator...this is coming from a hooiser mind you, it has been salted, and rolled up.  I unrolled it w/ my boys and resalted it, and rolled it back up, and it's back in the barn fridge.

I have read a couple of different chapters on tanning, and one of them says to scale it.  I was wanting to flesh it out in a couple of weeks and tac it up to dry like rawhide and use when needed. How thick should a gator skin be when fleshed? What do you think about the scaleing part?  Do I or not, and if I do, ???

Thanks for any replies, dpg

(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: MORE ALLIGATOR SKIN TANNING QUESTIONS?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:36:29 pm »
The belly is all I keep and use. The smaller the scales the better for hand grips. I've only fleshed, and dried it like rawhide, salt not needed. When I use it for hand grips I soak it in water like rawhide to mold and glue and sew.

If you are scaling like a snake(never heard of that) sounds like a small one. Cut a section wallet size to include the butthole, put a dollar bill behind it with Washingtons face in the slot and it makes a cool wallet. 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: MORE ALLIGATOR SKIN TANNING QUESTIONS?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 01:08:11 am »
we need a picture of that
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"