Author Topic: Dang!  (Read 1483 times)

Offline budgolf

• Take me to the woods!
Dang!
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:18:31 pm »
I understand now why so many people use band saws.  While tillering I noticed that I have created a hinge while shaping my handle with the rasp. It's still well above the draw weight and well. Slow the length I'm shooting for though. I think it will work out but it's gonna be close.

Offline Weylin

Re: Dang!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:25:11 pm »
I gotta say, I think bandsaws are a heck of a lot more dangerous to a bow than a rasp is. Not trying to judge you for making a hinge with a rasp, I've done it too but rasps tend to create problems a lot slower so at least you can catch them early most of the time. A bandsaw will ruin a bow in the blink of an eye.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 11:27:36 pm »
We should all tiller only with a cabinet scraper.  >:D >:D  Everybody would make like 1 bow a year, but dammit, it wouldn't be hingey!

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:47 pm »
Once I string the stave for the first time. I go to a scraper like tool. I don't want or own a bandsaw.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/simplearrow.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:33:33 am »
We should all tiller only with a cabinet scraper.  >:D >:D  Everybody would make like 1 bow a year, but dammit, it wouldn't be hingey!

Gabe

Anymore, I do tiller completely with a scraper. And it is really faster that way too, when you figure how much sanding you have to do after the bow is tillered, using a scraper will leave alot less tool marks to sand out (if any really). I use my farriers rasp to get the initial bend working nicely regarding floor tillering, and on the longstring. Then file out all the rasp marks with a file, then check on the longstring again, then reduce to a finer file, then check on the longstring again, than use my scraper to remove all the finer file marks, than check on the longstring again, and if all is ok,.... THEN I string the bow,  ;D. And after that, I will use a scraper to tiller out the bow. It seems to produce the least set of any way I have ever tillered a bow so far.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:08:21 am »
I agree, going the slowest method is the most sure way to produce a nice bow. On the flip side,  power tools will teach you a lesson faster than anything else. I use my bandsaw for splitting all my staves, and I follow the grain exactly. No problems. Next up, tillering with a chainsaw...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 04:49:25 am »
I had a band saw.  Used it, then sold it. Now I prefer not having one at my disposal, because that is what it is for me, a stave disposal....Ok, just kidding....wish I had one for splices and thickness tapers on certain woods, and cutting billets out of low error-tolerant pieces of yew.  Other than that, I am glad I sold my bandsaw.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 05:54:06 am »
Band saw to rough out,Rasp to get closer and scrapper to finish up the tiller. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good