Author Topic: first recurve lifted a splinter on belly.  (Read 8770 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: first recurve lifted a splinter on belly.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 01:51:47 pm »
How long are you steaming those tips? I wouldnt go less than 45 minutes.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline danny f

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 01:58:14 pm »
when i first did them  i used steam and did it for about 30 mins. but i had to redo them as they pulled out while tillering. so second time i used a heat gun rather than steam. im not sure how long you have to heat them with a heat gun but they were very  hot and i did the bends very slowly. then they decided to crack. i thought it may be the wood getting to dry.  im hoping this will fix it if not its been a learning curve anyway.

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 05:52:56 pm »
I really like how you fixed those tips with that plug/spice/overlay. I have the exact problem you are having with some woods, but not other. For me, Ash is just imposable to recurve, it splits open and the curves you do get pull out and elm likes to open cracks. Osage and mulberry are sweethearts to recurving. Those are sharp curves you are doing there. I know in ship yards that build wooden boats, they steam the wooden ribs, use a large metal strap as a back for the rib, and bend and clamp them to a caul. The strap keeps the back of the curve from opening up. You should try something similar?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 06:42:27 pm »
I steam mine for 45 minutes. I dont "set" them with dry heat and have never had any of them budge or pull out. I have made static bows with elm, hackberry and osage.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 08:30:55 pm »
i'm with pd, I go 1hr, on white oak I set with dry heat as it has pulled out,Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹