Author Topic: Bow Length  (Read 6440 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Bow Length
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10:26 pm »
Dont be so easy on yourself you talentless slug Bub.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D, I hear ya pd,
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10:56 pm »
for 45#@28 inches, bendy handle, would you all say 66 inches is overbuilt?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 08:17:33 pm »
How wide? What wood?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 08:18:41 pm »

Yes and no... :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 08:20:24 pm »
Hopefully the question asker checks back in. This conversation could get fun and would thoroughly answer his questions.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 08:22:36 pm »
white oak, hickory, maple, OSAGE, ash, 62" 29"50# should be fairly easy to get, sluggo
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow101

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 08:39:07 pm »
Hopefully the question asker checks back in. This conversation could get fun and would thoroughly answer his questions.

lol.............. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: blackhawk's answer is the best one yet......"Yes and no... "
It's all comming to a close now. So pearly you can go Smack your Drums now...... :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 08:51:18 pm »

Yes and no... :laugh:

That's terrible of you  >:(

;D
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 04:27:33 am »
Longer length equals more forgiving shooting, and smoother draw to given drawlength due to less stacking (all else equal).  It is also easier to tiller due to more limb available to working duties.  if you are knew, attempt longer bows.  You will be more successfull in making shooter worthy bows, but if you just want to learn how to make a bow, try to make a 50" bendy handle static recurve of hunting weight at 28",  or the like.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 06:02:07 am »
I double the draw and add the non bending area in a prefect world. Neve really figured why most seem to tiller to 28 unless they think someone else may shoot the bow,I have watched a lot of folks[pretty big boys] shoot and very few draw 28 ,no matter what they say.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Will H

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 09:01:04 am »
You talkin bout me pappy? >:D 6'6" 24" draw??  :laugh: :laugh:
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 09:29:20 am »
6 ft.  27" draw and I stretch to get there.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 10:19:40 am »
When I started making bows, I kept the first few long and wide (working with white woods) which led to some early success. As I gained more experience, I was able to shorten them some and make them a little narrower. My eyes were really opened, however, when I received some bows from Half Eye. At 54" to 56", he really showed me what can be accomplished with good tillering skills. I personally like my stiff handled bows about 64" to 66" n2n and my bendy handled bows about 58" to 60" n2n. I have a 26" to 27" draw. Either can be shot from a tree stand depending on how much cover you have.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 10:35:27 am »
The presence of knots,etc affect length. Bend in the handle bows can be longer. You need at least double your draw minus the non bending portion on your handle bow. Double your draw and add 10-20%. 62 inches is good for a 26 in draw. I like longer because I like no stack bows. Most people over estimate their draws anyway. Most people confuse pose draws with shooting draws. I draw selfies around 26 in on a no pain day.  :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 10:47:59 am »
But longer does not always equate to a less stacked draw...I believe design and knowing where to put the bend is far more important than length when it comes to stacking issues. For example I have two similar draw and weight bows..one is 52" n the other is 64". The shorter bow is waaaaaaaaay more smoother and will pull a couple inches farther before feeling any sign of stack. Its also very visually noticeably faster than the longer bow..which common physics tells us the longer bow should be faster. And both bows are tillered per mass formula. What makes this so? Design and knowing where to put the bend.