Author Topic: Mulberry for Arrow Shafts?  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Mulberry for Arrow Shafts?
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:37:03 pm »
Hello Y'all,

Is there a verdict on using Mulberry Shoots for Arrow Shafts?
I've done some searches on the Forum but haven't found anything conclusive...

Thank Y'all,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline kid bow

Re: Mulberry for Arrow Shafts?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:06:23 pm »
i dont see why not
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 12:15:10 am »
If you can find them the proper size and age there is no reason I know of why you can't make shoot arrows with mulberry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:08:48 am »
Thank You Sirs!

I topped a Mulberry year before last. Now the shoots coming off the Primary Scaffolds this year are long and straight.
They sure do look like Arrahs and Darts to me...  :)

Regards,

-gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:03:53 pm »
Gus, generally first year shoots will produce shafts that are weak in spine. I prefer second year shoots. I have never tried mulberry so I can't say it is true for mulberry. Give it a try and let us know how it works.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:46:01 pm »
Thank You Sir,

I think I understand...

The shoots/limbs I cut started growing in 2011, but they really put on their length last year...

I'm completely in experimental mode here, as I skinned them and straightened them just after cutting
 them. They haven't checked or split out yet but they still might.
I was just curious to see if I could get away without sealing this batch as well.
I'm also making a pair of Kid's Bows from a pair of larger shoots treated the same way.

The Bows are already starting to shape up.
I'll post back when I have more to report...   :)

Regards,
-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 01:51:29 pm »
Gus, generally shoot material grows to its untimate height in one growing season then matures the next and on after that. If you check your shoots closely you will probably find where each years growth begins and ends. Also only leaves grow on most first year growth. The next year small branches come from the buds that develop at the leaf scar from the previous years leaves. Small branches are a good indicator of shoots that are mature enough for arrow shafting.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 02:54:45 pm »
Pat has given you some expert advice there.  I agree completely.  The mulberry shoots I've tried all seem to be weak in spine, though, no matter how old they are.  The first year shoots are definitely the weakest.  I've had better luck splitting the heartwood of the truck for arrows.

One good thing about the shoots is that their inner bark is easy to peel after a rainfall and makes excellent cordage!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:41:19 pm »
I have tried mulberry and the only problem is because they have lots of leaves its kinda difficult to bring em down to size, plus the center pith weakens them some what. Your plane will dig in because of the leaves and they will break on hard impact. If I were to rate them id give mulberry for arrow shafts a 5 out of 10. Id use something else. I would say that if you grab a thick piece and split it it maybe alot better but I havent tried this method.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY