Author Topic: bowstave  (Read 1775 times)

Offline kid bow

bowstave
« on: December 26, 2012, 05:13:03 pm »
ok so my only hunting bow decided to break on me during my practice. so i need a stave if anyone of you can spare one or two. i have some dacite for trade.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline KShip85

Re: bowstave
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 07:14:28 pm »
Type and dimensions? I've got some lumber laying around.
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 09:17:41 pm »
any good straight grained wood will do if possible hickory.... i need it at maybe 6ft tall

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 10:33:32 pm »
man, 6 ft is a bit much in my opinion, 66 inches does the trick in most cases or even 60 unless you want a stiff handle, and if you want a long draw then i could see 6ft, shorter can often be easier to work with.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline KShip85

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:01:11 pm »
6' narrows down a little of what I have but I could probably get you red oak, hackberry, or maybe some white oak.  I'd have to check and see.  The Hackberry and red oak I know I have.  Also the hackberry has a natural camouflage on the back.  I might be trading some hack with someone else too but I have quite a bit of it.

Looks like this.

Let me know if interested and I'll go find a piece that's unclaimed and send you some photos to see if you want it.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline kid bow

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 03:56:12 pm »
i know 6ft sounds like alot but the way i build my bows is i make the stave extra long and build it that way incase of me messing up. and i havnt worked with hackberry at all. do you guys know anyone who lives in Kentucky that is from this website???

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 07:50:48 pm »
Im not living in Kentucky now, but I am from southeast Kentucky and drive back up there pretty regularly.  Why do you ask? Where are you located?  Seems like I see someone else on here from Richmond, KY from time to time as well.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline kid bow

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 07:59:25 pm »
im in jefferson county louisville