Author Topic: enough sinew?  (Read 1711 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

enough sinew?
« on: January 09, 2013, 06:43:24 pm »
hey, i just processed this sinew and was wondering if it will be enough to back a bow with two courses of sinew?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: enough sinew?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:48:51 pm »
Thats plenty and your only half way processed. You might want to break those pieces down into 8-10 each. The finer the sinew the better it meshes the better it meshes the better it works and the better it works the better it shoots!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 06:53:03 pm »
wont they wind up getting too short? ive been wondering why when i go to split it it winds up half the length.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 06:55:00 pm »
Thats why we all try to find long sinew. I wont use leg sinew because frankly, Im a lazy sinewer and back sinew is long and easy to process.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 06:56:27 pm »
well, thats going to be some tiny stuff when im done  ::)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 07:01:29 pm »
I like to roughly sort my lengths. I try to have two or three different length piles. That way I always have a batch to fit any length gap or spot. 

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 07:02:23 pm »
Thats plenty and your only half way processed. You might want to break those pieces down into 8-10 each. The finer the sinew the better it meshes the better it meshes the better it works and the better it works the better it shoots!

just keeps on getting better and better
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 07:18:23 pm »
and the hands and feet just keep getting more and more numb... lol, i was doing this without shoes or socks in my basement. ::)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 07:37:08 pm »
Shred it smaller.

Pearly don't you use a dog brush? Looked like that worked really good.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:48:15 pm »
I do Bryce. You just have to be gentle because it will shred it, literally.

Offline sonny

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 09:13:46 pm »
I disagree that it needs to be shredded any finer than that. I always shred sinew (for use as bow backing) into such "ribbons" and have used it as such to back a number of bows....
One thing that I will suggest is that you trim the ends wherever necessary. In one pic you can see some stiff ends that will not glue down easily, if at all.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:21:22 pm »
It doesn't need to be shredded finer.  As long as the glue ties everything back together then it's fine enough. In life a tendon works better if it's not mangled so there is no need to go too overboard with tearing it all apart and then putting it back together.
 It more important to align the backing well and apply it evenly and well staggered to overlap all the ends.