Author Topic: Consistent Full Draw Advice?  (Read 11077 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Consistent Full Draw Advice?
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:47:35 pm »
Unfortantely, when I first started bow making I started with short draw short bows and used a floating anchor. I could still get the plate size group at 10 yards, but I knew I could do better.

Now I have several longer bows, amoung them a 50lb 63" hickory selfbow that is my current target bow. I know it can go to my full 27" draw, and when I am not shooting at something and just drawing I have no problem getting a good anchor (not over-bowed or anything). However, once I get the arrow pointing at the target with the intent to shoot, I usually end up snap shooting and a shorter draw. When I do get to full draw, my shots are dead on otherwise.

Do yall have any advice for implanting that full draw muscle memory?
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Consistent Full Draw Advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:43:54 pm »
I had the same problem two years ago and couldn't shoot for crap. 2 years and 1000's of arrows later I am shooting 4-6" groups at 25 yards. To fix my snap shooting problem I swallowed my ego and moved to five yards from my target, which at the time was 3 hay bales stacked on top of each other. I drew, held for 2 seconds counted aloud then released. I shot for 2 months this way and did not let myself back up until I could consistently hold at anchor for however long I wanted. Then step by step staying at each new distance for a few days and shooting hundreds of arrows at each one, I moved back to 20 yards. 4 months after I started my snap shooting was cured and I set to work increasing my accuracy. My groups shrunk from 4 feet to 4". I literally have shot probably 50,000 arrows in 2 years.

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 12:21:14 am »
Come to full draw, hold for a second then let down. Do this over and over again concentrating on your form, hitting your anchor and achieving full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:59:16 am »
If you combine what the kid said with what the old guy said you can't go wrong.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:19:31 am »
Which one am I Lane?  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:06:34 pm »
If you keep telling yourself, "The shot begins when I hit full draw", you may beat it. I had/have the same short draw problem because Im 100% instinctive and my eyes and subconsious is all tuned in well before Im full drawn, as a result the draw hand lets go of the string 1-3" short. Stupid subconcouis anyway.....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 01:42:54 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can get out and start practicing some today.

I'll try what Pat said now (I can do it inside  :) ) and then I'll get out in the field later and get some target time.

I imagine it'll probably take awhile but I shoot almost everyday anyway, might as well do it right.  :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 02:16:51 pm »
When you start shooting outside stand close(10 yds or less) to your target, get a good sight picture, close your eyes, come to full draw, hold for a second and release. Don't worry about hitting the bulls eye. Just concentrate on your form and your draw to full draw then your release. Do this over and over again until coming to full draw is second nature to you. Once you feel comfortable with your draw stay close to the target but concentrate on each shot with your eyes open. Once you are hitting where you want consistantly move out to 15yds, then 20yds, etc.
 I haven't shot much over the last year but when I was shooting a lot I started out shooting 50 to 100 arrows a day. After I was confident my form was set and my shooting consistane I realized I didn't need to shoot that much and it actually made my shooting worse because it would tire me out. When I shoot now I shoot a dozen or so arrows, making sure that each one goes where I'm looking. When I get near hunting season I will shoot one arrow a day, either in the early morning or late afternoon, simulating hunting times. Even after not shooting much lately I can usually go out and shoot almost any bow and my first couple of shots are right on. Because my archery muscles are out of shape I tire easily and my shooting shows it.
  Also, shoot only one arrow. Shoot it, retrieve it and shoot again. This keeps a clear target picture without the clutter of other arrows. It also helps you concentrate on each shot because of the pause between the shots clears out your mental picture so you can concentrate on your next shot.
  When I'm shooting I don't want to think about the bow or arrow but only on the place the arrow WILL go. I want my conscience mind to not even consider the bow and arrow so my body goes through the moves without consience thought and let my subconsience guide the arrow. This takes lots of positive practice. If you find yourself getting sloppy or tired or just sloppy shooting, put the bow down and come back when your mind is clear. Don't shoot to calm your nerves either. You want a clear mind for shooting. Bad habits are easy to come by but very difficult to loose!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 04:41:13 pm »
When you start shooting outside stand close(10 yds or less) to your target, get a good sight picture, close your eyes, come to full draw, hold for a second and release. Don't worry about hitting the bulls eye. Just concentrate on your form and your draw to full draw then your release. Do this over and over again until coming to full draw is second nature to you. Once you feel comfortable with your draw stay close to the target but concentrate on each shot with your eyes open. Once you are hitting where you want consistantly move out to 15yds, then 20yds, etc.
 I haven't shot much over the last year but when I was shooting a lot I started out shooting 50 to 100 arrows a day. After I was confident my form was set and my shooting consistane I realized I didn't need to shoot that much and it actually made my shooting worse because it would tire me out. When I shoot now I shoot a dozen or so arrows, making sure that each one goes where I'm looking. When I get near hunting season I will shoot one arrow a day, either in the early morning or late afternoon, simulating hunting times. Even after not shooting much lately I can usually go out and shoot almost any bow and my first couple of shots are right on. Because my archery muscles are out of shape I tire easily and my shooting shows it.
  Also, shoot only one arrow. Shoot it, retrieve it and shoot again. This keeps a clear target picture without the clutter of other arrows. It also helps you concentrate on each shot because of the pause between the shots clears out your mental picture so you can concentrate on your next shot.
  When I'm shooting I don't want to think about the bow or arrow but only on the place the arrow WILL go. I want my conscience mind to not even consider the bow and arrow so my body goes through the moves without consience thought and let my subconsience guide the arrow. This takes lots of positive practice. If you find yourself getting sloppy or tired or just sloppy shooting, put the bow down and come back when your mind is clear. Don't shoot to calm your nerves either. You want a clear mind for shooting. Bad habits are easy to come by but very difficult to loose!

+1 Pat said a lot of good stuff in his post... And Lane... HAHAHA ;D

Offline johnston

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 03:01:13 am »
Well Pat, you got me by a couple of years so that makes you...uh..wise. Me, I'm just old. Now
Jon on the other hand ain't been around too long but the young man has serious savvy and
builds one hell of a bow.

CS about 3 years ago I started searching for MY best technique and form. About 2 years ago
I began using that form ( including a 2 second hold ) shooting at a large target from 3 yards.
It worked as now, just 2 years later I am fairly consistent with a medium sized target at 5 yards.
OK, maybe it's a little better than that but the point is it takes a lot of shooting, not just flinging
arrows, to get good. If you find you are just not mentally engaged either stop for the day or
move the target out to 70 yds. The brain seems to enjoy the variety and bad form is amplified at distance.
And it's fun which is the real goal anyway.

To shoot well instinctively you have to fully concentrate without
thinking.

G.Fred Asbell has a couple of good books on the subject and they are worth your time. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 07:23:54 am »
johnston this is just my opinion so please don't take it wrong,I think a lot of GFred
and for all he has done for archery but it took me years [still at it] to break the bad habits that the swing draw method helped do for me and many others. I bought his bows and books when I started shooting traditional 30+ years ago and shot that way for at least 10 years.Spent the last 20 years trying to get over it. ;) :) It is a short draw problem looking to happen. jmo. Pat's advice seems to work for me and over the last few years have gotton to where I can hit full draw
before loosing the string most of the time. The swing draw is all about timing with your swing and if the timing is on you can hit a nat in the behind but if it is off you can't hit the wall inside a building plus when hunting unless you are shooting at something running or flying the swing draw has way to much movement for me. Not sure what the problem is but I think that method as you swing you are looking at what you want to hit,you mind tells you you are pointed in the right spot and you turn loose before you hit an anchor. I know I will catch a lot of flak over this but after years of shooting and watching others that use his method I haven't seen very many consistend shooters. I know their are some I just ant seem them and most draw about 22 to 24 inches.  ;) :) :) Get out the popcorn !!!!!!!
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 04:05:30 pm »
Pappys got it. My eyes and brain would be screaming shoot, shoot, an my sub consicous mind would be saying no were not to full draw yet, an when i let loose it was quite a mess. I finally got so now i don't focus on what i want to hit until I reach full draw an then focus on target. This has helped me alot . Like Pat said, bad habits come real easy an leave real hard. Quess I better get some popcorn with  Pappy. ;D ;D  Later Bob

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 07:08:59 pm »
I tried the audible counting of "1,2" and then I'd release just after the '2' left my lips.

I wasn't really 'focusing' on the accuracy so it was about normal, but I got full draw just about everytime. Which means I have consistent velocity and form so I have the potential to improve substanciallly.

I'll do that every time I go out now till my form is set.  :)

If you or anyone else has any additional advice, I'm always willing to listen.  :)

Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:55:53 pm »
Don't worry about accuracy for now. Get your form down and your full draw right first. Give yourself a few days of these exercises and you should notice improvement.

Offline johnston

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 12:50:30 am »
Aw gee Pappy Mark  Baggett , you got me. I don't actually use the swing draw but since I saw that pic of
you and G. Fred all hugged up I figured I would be all PC  and maybe not get scolded.

I raise a canted bow from whatever position my body assumes relative to the target. If my bow arm can
be fully extended, it is. My draw comes to completion when my thumb knuckle touches my cheek at the
jaw joint and if my mind is empty I let loose.

I may look down the arrow after I raise the bow but I never address the shot with tension on the string.