Author Topic: Looking for a straight stave for recurve (Pictures Added of trade)  (Read 3123 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Hey guys-
    I am looking for a straight grain osage or any other stave for a recurve. This would be my frist recurve attempt. I have a couple osage staves in exchange along with a hackberry stave I could trade but it has an outline of a bow on it already (just never got around to roughing it out)... also some feathers and other hunting equipment... Any takers pm me please

It would be awesome to find a stave in trade and challenge myself to a recurve... gonna follow gordon's build a long.

Thanks

Justin
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:44:14 pm by bowhntineverythingnh03743 »

Offline sleek

Re: Looking for a straight stave for recurve
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:18:51 pm »
Whats wrong with your staves now?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:06:40 am »
I have one great osage stave that is a snake but will build a bad#@$ looking longbow... waiting on starting that one and another snakey elm stave. I still haven't been too successful on bowyering... takes me a good amount of time to turn one out. I am just looking for a pole of a stave so that I can try this recurve idea out is all.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 12:47:26 am »
If you can post some pics of what you are willing to trade? I have some, but I also have no idea of what you are looking for in length, poundage, etc. Im really hoping that snakey stave is really freaking snakey....

Re: Looking for a straight stave for recurve (Pictures Added)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 06:43:38 pm »
Ok guys so hopefully these come out ok because they are off my phone. These staves are way beyond my skill level at this time. They have knots and dives and are fairly close ringed BUT the early/late wood ratio is good on them. They range between 64-70+ inches long and have more than enough in width and thickness.

I am looking for a stave around 66 inches long to make a 64 inch bow and I would like to be around 50# at 28 when I am done with the recurve.

Here are the pics... they I couldn't get the entire stave in one shot because it is off my phone but use your imagination and put them together lol

These staves are well seasoned... 3 YEARS!!!

Hopefully someone has a straight stave of american elm, osage, or yew to trade but hit me up with any other woods as well

Offline sleek

Re: Looking for a straight stave for recurve (Pictures Added of trade)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 07:51:21 pm »
All my staves are 6 inches too short for what you are asking. Aside from that, you have some nice staves there, easy to work. Especially that one on the right. What about them scares you?

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 07:57:45 pm »
Just how tight ring they are and all the knots... I haven't been able to clean up a knot to save my life yet. So I rather trade them then ruin a nice stave.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 08:20:56 pm »
Oh, I see. Well, I dont have knots that I can see, but my staves i have are too short for what you are asking. Leave them up here though, somebody will bite. That one you are showing the rings on is thick enough to get a belly split stave off of.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 09:09:34 pm »
Those are cleaner than my "best" staves. You could easily get a recurve out of one of those. Just take your time on chasing a ring and tillering.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:46:16 pm »
You know, if you really can not chase a ring around a knot to save your life, then the most obvious answer is dont. Sapwood does perfectly fine as a back. Many say its no good, many say it is. Those who say it is can prove it with bows they made. Those who say it isnt prove it with broken bows they made. But by the same token, many used to say boards couldnt make a bow, and many said they can, and proved it likewise. If your bow is not successful, it wont be because of the back I promise. Give up trading these nice staves and  ( well its up to you, but I would keep em ) make a nice recurve from the one on the right, and the twisty one is a nice character bow. Oh, and move on over to the bows thread, and post over there about them and what bow you wanna make of them.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 12:02:16 am »
I've got no 'sage but maybe able to come across a clean piece of hickory for you, if you're interested.  Just mailed one out and should be able to get another good one, I can check and see if you want.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 01:11:00 am »
Sounds good if you can upload a pic please do

Offline KShip85

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 02:43:19 pm »
Ok here is a hickory I split down and have half the bark off length is somewhere around 70" right now I believe.

I may also have a HHB if you'd like to take a look at that.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 06:39:50 pm »
Kip if you don't mind showing that HHB... never tried any of that... that be great thanks!