Author Topic: Mulberry sapwood bow - tiller help  (Read 1443 times)

Offline diliviu

Mulberry sapwood bow - tiller help
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:19:10 am »
Hello,

I've almost finished the mulberry sapwood I cut last summer:

151 cm ntn, 1.4 inches string follow. Didn't measure the draw weight yet, but I think it's about 50 lbs at 26 inches. It took the string follow during tillering. After today's shooting string follow didn't increase at all, but I only drew it to 24-25 as I'm not sure yet about the tillering and about the draw weight (wood is pretty inelastic in compression and draw weight seems a little high for its dimensions). The problem is it appears to me a little too rigid at handle (and at around 25 it's starting to stack), but the photos and mirror don't seem to say the same.

What do you think about the tiller? What about reducing draw weight?
The bow is 1 and 3/10 inches wide at the handle and a little under 2/3 inches wide before nocks (for my (in)experience, for the knots wood has and for a bendy handle didn't have the nerve to narrow it more towards the tips).
Left limb should be up (I'm left handed), red bark point under the arrow protection is the middle of the bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Mulberry sapwood bow - tiller help
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:14:29 pm »
We need to see a full draw pic. That, IMO is where you see proper tiller and not just at brace and/or unbraced. Your braced pic looks goos as does the unbraced.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline diliviu

Re: Mulberry sapwood bow - tiller help
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 04:06:48 pm »
Thank you. I might drop it down a few pounds and come back with the final bow, including full draw pics.