Author Topic: Newbe here just starting my first bow (maple board bow) looking for tips  (Read 4587 times)

Offline Bsmitty27

Hello from Edmonton
Starting a maple board bow.  66", 1 1/2 wide, 3/4" at nocks, walnut handle, want the bow to flex through handle. Was thinking of laminating a thin piece of maple to use as backing, was going to start with 1/4" and could plain it down.  Thaught it would be better to have a little more than the 3/4' board.   Ideas?
I am also wondering what thickness I should start the limbs at?
I'm looking forward to this project. And I think I found the right place to get some guidance.
Thanks in advance

Brad

Offline Bsmitty27

Re: Newbe here just starting my first bow (maple board bow) looking for tips
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:45:03 pm »
Forgot to mention I would like a 50lb at 27.5" draw.
Thanks
Brad

Offline PaleoNinja

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:50:19 pm »
You Wont be able to use a Walnut Riser and Get a bend through the handle bow, the riser is going to pop off.  Also 1/4" is too thick for a backing, 1/8" is better, though if You just plan on backing Maple with Maple there's really no reason to do it at all.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 02:56:45 pm »
Hello from manitoba,never made a bow with a 3 /4 board but I'm sure someone will speak up!check out windsor plywood ,they sell 15/16 thick boards if you want to go a little thicker on your next one.good luck!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:57:28 pm »
If you want a bend in the handle bow you can build up the handle area with layered leather n be able to even shape it,or even with shoe insole material and a leather wrapping. And id just make it a simple selfbow for your first and skip backing it with another board. If you know what your doing then there's nuttin wrong with a maple backed maple,but your new and don't,so keep it simple at first...trust me ;)

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bsmitty27

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 04:31:34 pm »
Thats a great link, it is what I was working from.  It just seemed like the <1/2" for the limbs seems thin.   I guess what I was planning on doing with the thinner maple wasn't really backing, but adding a lamination to make a thicker stronger board, for a base to work with.  I was thinking 3/4 would be too thin.   
Should I just use the 3/4" board and not worry about the lamination?

Thanks for the info guys.
Brad
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:45:32 pm by Bsmitty27 »

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 04:44:12 pm »
your finished bow is going to be under 1/2" thick, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 10:36:01 pm »
This is exactly the reason I thought we needed a build along like this , Bubby. Thanks again for stepping up to bat on this one.

Post a pic of the board you want to use ,Brad. If the grain is dodgy ,we might save you some time and grief. Also, what is the temp in Edmonton for the last few weeks?  Just wondering about the moisture content of your maple. If it's too dry ,(maple especially) it likes to blow without warning.

Offline Bsmitty27

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:48:40 am »
Thanks again everyone.
I will take some pics tomorrow. It has been mild for a week or do -10 c for lows. It's gun'a get cold this week though.
Brad

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 09:46:33 am »
The colder it gets ,the lower the Relative humidity (RH). As you may notice when it gets down to -40 , the  air is crisp and clear and it doesn't snow. A  Hygrometer is a good investment (about $10 ) . In your house  45-60 % is ideal  but almost impossible to maintain when it gets below -10 C. If you have a heat exchanger\ air exchanger (Venmar etc) it makes the problem worse. now you are exhausting the moistened air in the house with dry air from outside. If your wood gets too dry it gets really brittle, if not dry enough it is too "spongey" and makes for a sluggish bow.  We really have a narrow window of moisture content (MC) for "ideal" bowmaking. If you are making the bow in the garage, I would recommend bringing the bow in the house  between sessions. Bathroom would be ideal if your better half doesn't object ;D . Just don't tell her it was my idea.

Offline Bsmitty27

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 06:44:10 pm »
More great info thanks. Here are a couple pics of the board.

Lete know what you think?

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 07:44:28 pm »
Are you sure it's Maple?

Offline Bsmitty27

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:55:16 pm »
I don't know bows but I know wood.
It's from a mill in Ontario I got maple flooring from them, it's from a 5"x3/4" plank.  The wood is a not clear maple its a 2nd grade so there is lots of color variation.  I have lots leftover, not all grain is great. I thaught this was good grain but I don't really know.
Brad

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 11:24:04 pm »
It's worth a try go for it, Ya gat noting ta looze. I'am just finishing a maple board at least it did not snap yet; unike Oak, that stuff is so grainy.
Male is a lot more for giving than most woods.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell