Author Topic: Rounded Belly  (Read 8925 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Rounded Belly
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 11:56:26 pm »
You can make a flat surface with hand tools. Use a cabinet scraper and bow it slightly so that you are putting pressure on the center rather than edges. If you can make it hollow, you can make it flat.
                        What is flat ? Care to explain ?How do you bow a cabinet scraper ta put pressure on the center not the edges ? Care ta explain ? Do you mean "relatively flat and not perfectly flat ?"........bob

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 03:14:19 am »
I can't speak for others, but when I talk about a flat bellied bow, I mean relatively flat.   Not fiber glass bow flat.   I do think that handtools can come close to real flatness, but it's a lot of work.  Cabinet scrapers, small planes and spoke shaves all can be used to flatten the belly.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 05:42:17 am »
bob I guess if you put a mike on mine they ant PERFECTLY flat but they are flat
none the less.I round a few if need be but mostly I make them flat,like you said
everybody has one and that is mine.I like to keep the limb the same thickness
all the way across and rounding the belly won't do that if the back is flat
well [kind of flat]nothing is prefect in selfbows.If I have a dip in the back I
round the belly accordingly if the back is rounded I dish out a little also.seem
to work for me. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good