Author Topic: Spine on cane arrows.  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Scottski

Spine on cane arrows.
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:59:52 am »
I have made a few cane arrows. Never spine them when I make them no spine tester. Is it very important to do so? The seem to fly good.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Spine on cane arrows.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:03:22 pm »
For cane and hardwood shoot arrows I only use a spine tester to find the stiff side. That side goes against the bow. You can find the stiff side without he use of a spine tester.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:05:47 pm »
x2 that's what i usually do to
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Scottski

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:03:55 pm »
ok thanks guys.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:39:12 pm »
I never spined my bamboo, but when I recently made a 70 lb bow I discovered they were all apparently spined a bit lighter than that....so I've had to start doing a bit more work on arrows :)

Offline Scottski

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:48:43 pm »
well right now i have a bamboo backed osage bow 40 pounds. might have to spine them later just to learn how. have to make my own tester. dont like to spend alot of money on stuff i think i can make.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 11:51:28 pm »
Google "James Hill Spine Tester". That is what I built. I bought the dial indicater for less than $10 and the stand is scrap wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 08:44:57 am »
I was given some information for the best cane arrow maker out there, and he said to "pay more attention to FOC on cane than spine."  To get arrows to fly and group the same, this is a must with cane because of the natural taper of it.  The taper of cane changes the spine considerably over what parallel shafts do.

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 08:52:14 pm »
Well, been waitin And no one has replied, so what is FOC?
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 09:21:45 pm »
FOC refers to weight distribution, or that's my take on it.  It stands for "forward of center".
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Scottski

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 09:33:29 pm »
More weight in the front.

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 11:47:37 pm »
Ahha. Now that is typical thing with a heavy tip right?  I would imagine it calls for a middle divison somewhere. Of course I am now talking out of my butt. Lol.. I think I even confused myself.
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 08:08:09 am »
To get arrows to shoot close or like each other, paying attention to the FOC of each cane arrow compared to each other is more important that spine or weight to each other.  Because of the taper of cane, the foc comes in to play more than the other two options.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 09:58:02 am »
 I always spine test. To get consistency, at least for me, I think it is so very important. I'm a stickler for matching the arrow to the bow. I absolutely hate to spend hours making an arrow and find it is way under spined or to stiff. I love perfect arrow flight. I took a few hours and made this spine tester and it will dial me in...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bhenders

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 03:10:52 pm »
For cane and hardwood shoot arrows I only use a spine tester to find the stiff side. That side goes against the bow. You can find the stiff side without he use of a spine tester.

IF you don't have a spine tester, look for the leaf nodes and make your nock parallel to the last leaf node.  That should put the stiff side against the bow.