Author Topic: Brief question about rawhide.  (Read 1417 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Brief question about rawhide.
« on: January 04, 2013, 10:44:12 pm »
In your guys' oponions what is rawhide worth in trade??? if i wanted some nice stuff that would be ready to put on a bow what would i be looking at in terms of trade items? also, how much of the rawhide per amount of said item? basically i mean, how many rawhide strips(or sheets) per bow stave ect? if this is in the wrong place im sorry, just dont know where else to ask value of an item other than trading post.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Brief question about rawhide.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:02:31 pm »
There is no real set value for trade goods IMO. If both traders are satisfied then it is a good deal. Many trades both people come away thinking they got the better side of the deal. That said I would probably want enough rawhide to do 2-3 bows if I was going to trade a stave.

Jon

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 11:29:59 pm »
It usually costs between $15-$25 for deer rawhide to back a 6ft bow.  Expect to pay $30 for the "nice" stuff that is perfectly clear, perfectly flat, sanded smooth, and 2" wide.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 08:48:27 am »
To me that sounds fair.2 to 3 pair per stave.It's variable because you know the quality of product exchanged is a factor here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed