Author Topic: Anyone here not use a tillering tree/stick?  (Read 8563 times)

Offline Dictionary

Anyone here not use a tillering tree/stick?
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:31:56 pm »
Just curious. This is primitive archer but i doubt many here have tried to make one without a rope/pulley. This is primitive archer but many havent taken the stone tool approach. Not everyone really can though make efficient tools from stone or have the access to it, including me. But im sure there are ways to tiller efficiently without using ropes/pulleys,mirrors,tillering sticks, and all the other gizmos we've thought up.

If you do so,  share your method please.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Anyone here not use a tillering tree/stick?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:43:37 pm »
There are and I have. I'm sure the ancients assessed tiller together with another person to show hight spots, etc. One other way is watch your shadow. Still another way is gently draw the stave over your head and watch the limbs bending.:) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PaleoNinja

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:44:04 pm »
Me and Cesar (legionnaire archery)both just use mirrors or shadows.  I havn't taken the time to build a pulley system, I don't really find it that necessary, I basically just floor tiller til it's safely brace-able then use a mirror til it gets to full draw.  I don't really think it makes a difference as long as you never overstress the wood.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 05:45:07 pm »
I think its a great question Dictionary.
seems what most tools evolve from is a desire to make something easier, less risky, less time consuming.

One could tiller a bow over a tree limb or a protruding knot in a tree,but our ancestors made bows so often they "knew" the wood
and took off wood in such increments they had more time to check their progress.
tillering with all kinds of fancy props wasn't as necessary as it is to us, but i'm sure tillering made more successful bows!
Steel axes were sometimes traded and then promptly scrape/sawed painstakingly in half to make wedges.
a stone axe worked fine for someone growing up with that lifestyle....but a steel wedge could be an anvil a scraper,all kinds of things.
well thats my schpeel anyway!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 06:21:31 pm »
I use many methods at once. For starters, I never pull a bow back until the tiller at brace is perfect. As long as its perfect at brace, the tiller wont be far off at all at draw. I also use shadows. I have my wife pull the bow while I look on. I will also lay the bow against the wall at brace, and measure the distance from the wall to each tip. The tip that is closest is the strongest limb. Other than that, Mirrors, cameras, or hang it from a tree by the handle and dangle a weight from the string. I have dont that, but that causes allot of set.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bowman

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 06:30:33 pm »
I've build lots of bows without a tiller stick. Mirror and a little help from my wife is sometimes good enough. But tillering is important when you wish a 100 % result.  It's a kind of art. :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 06:44:39 pm »
I somewhat prefer to use a mirror anymore over a tillering tree. Lately I have used a mirror for all tillering, and only used my tillering tree for measuring draw weight. I think I can be easier on the wood using a mirror instead of a tree which locks the bow at a specific draw length, and then I have to back up to look at it, and then go get it off the tree, which all takes time. I don't have a pulley set up, but I plan to in the future.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 07:31:27 pm »
Made all my first ones without a tree.  Pulled them over my knee (short bows) and had a buddy draw them while I assessed the bend.  I still only use the tiller tree for about 15-16 inches of draw.  After that it's photos.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:44:45 pm »
When sun high and tree not shake her leaves in wind, Cat sees bow in water of still pond.
Ok my pants have just ignited ::)
Never used one when I was a kid, don't think I used one on my 'one hour bow'.
Now I carve out the wood with a beaver tied to a stick... :o
Del (baaaad kitty)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 07:48:32 pm »
what do you guys think of this method? This guy makes some pretty nice bows.
And if you follow the whole build along, you'll see he uses this method to full draw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5HZwe9j2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjbIPv_ssWk

Really i can see using someone else to draw it for you to be the easiest of methods when you're with other people. But for those who wish to go out and make a bow on their own utilizing a small amount of tools in the woods and tillering on their own by eye and feel this guy offers a very good method along with paying attention to evening out the braced profile and checking floor tiller, it can be done consistently well i believe.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:53:49 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 07:59:34 pm »
Just curious. This is primitive archer but i doubt many here have tried to make one without a rope/pulley. This is primitive archer but many havent taken the stone tool approach. Not everyone really can though make efficient tools from stone or have the access to it, including me. But im sure there are ways to tiller efficiently without using ropes/pulleys,mirrors,tillering sticks, and all the other gizmos we've thought up.

If you do so,  share your method please.

Why not just put the string on, put your foot on the handle and gently pull back, should give you a rough idea how things are progressing.. ;) done many times myself.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 09:06:56 pm »
I usually don't use a tillering tree. In fact i almost never use a long string to begin tillering. I just floor bend until it looks as even as possible and then string it. It's also effective to look at the bow's shadow or pull in front of a mirror or other reflective things.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 09:08:10 pm »
I don't have a pulley set up, I have a stick that I use up to 22-23", I measure the brace both sides of the handle/fades and scrape and flex till it's even, then use my shadow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bushboy

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 10:33:01 pm »
like already noted i use my knee ,measure tip height @ brace,assess  brace closely marking increments with a pencil every 6" or so " and also closely monitoring the set or loss of reflex in opposing limbs.sighting down the limb to observe the deformation and try to counter balance!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 12:18:23 am »
I use  a mirror too but Dictionary is asking for ancient methods. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!