Author Topic: Mulbery stave question  (Read 4441 times)

Offline david w.

Mulbery stave question
« on: October 15, 2007, 08:37:11 pm »
Mullet sent me this awesome mulbery stave. thanks alot it is a very nice stave.

so i found a ring to chase. it a nice big ring. can i do that on a band saw because i dont have a draw knife?

what are some dimensions for a mulbery bow? i was thinking 1 3/4 at the fades then measuring the distants from the fades to the nocks and halfway to the nocks start to taper?

how do i work around a bump in the wood?

this is my first bow from a stave  and i am not really sure what to do.

i will post pics of the staves later
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline DanaM

Re: Mulbery stave question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 08:47:03 pm »
STOP!!!! NO BANDSAW don't try it you will ruin the stave. If ya don't have a draw knife a big buthcher knife and scraper combination would be a better choice. I'm sure others will have better advice but don't use the bandsaw to chase a ring. PM eddie and ask him. Remember David patience, slow down, and no hurrry. Take your time and make a bow, hurry and break the bow.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 08:53:59 pm »
i wont hurry my last one was a red oak bow and it took me 3 months

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 09:01:16 pm »
David, If you don't have a draw knife you can make one with a large knife and a piece of wood on the point end. Just split the wood a bit, insert the knife point at a right angle and wrap above and below where the point goes through. I believe Native Americans used these after they obtained knives from the whites. Use the knife handle with one hand and the wood as the other handle and to control the angle of the cut as you pull.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 09:09:25 pm »
thanks i will do that

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 09:17:38 pm »
     David,Whew!,Glad Dana stopped you with the band saw.That stave,you need to take down by hand.A large knife,hatchet would work great.That big knot is what is left of a small limb.You might possibly end up with a small hole in the limb,depending on how deep the growth ring is you are going to chase.Take extra care around each knot and do not cut through them.that wood is very dense, so you should be okay with 1 7/8,or 2 inches at the fades.That stave will teach you alot if you take your time and ask alot of questions. ;) It will also ,hopefully give you a nice shooting, snakey bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 09:20:31 pm »
thanks Mullet i will post a pic of the ring i want to chase and show you to see what you think. i will will ask alot of queations ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 09:35:47 pm »
 Great,glad you like it.That stave is long enough and wide enough that you have alot of room to play.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?