Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 850744 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #690 on: March 12, 2013, 03:33:28 pm »
Cleaning off my garden, pruning my muscadine vines an replacing broken support poles, stacking osage staves in the dry, just general piddling on taps for today

I worked on my sparkler a little a few days ago.

finished most of the butt stock shaping.

Does this trigger guard make my butt look flat?

YES!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Roy

« Reply #691 on: March 12, 2013, 03:51:27 pm »
JW, you now can come over to my place and clean the coffee off my keyboard and Monitor. LMAO:)

Heck Tom that's what rainy weekends are for, Summer Bownanzas:)

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #692 on: March 13, 2013, 07:56:41 pm »
Debarked the last 4 osage staves that needed it and went and harvested and a nice hackbery tree that yielded 20 -75" pipe straight hackberry beauties.It was 10" at base and clean up to about 18ft.  Think these are going to OJAM to help pay for my stavemaster.   I posted it on the bow side so I won't repost pics here.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #693 on: March 13, 2013, 10:15:33 pm »
Hey Roy, I got a buddy that has been building these guns for a little while now and he has a fondness for the ugly ones.  He built a french fusil de chasse and a New England club butt fowler.  I was giving him grief about it and he started singing, "I like big butts and I cannot lie". 

I will admit they are more comfortable when shooting heavy charges, though.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Roy

« Reply #694 on: March 13, 2013, 10:50:17 pm »
Yup, big butts will shoot some heavy charges that's for sure:)

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #695 on: March 13, 2013, 11:03:30 pm »
Speaking of big butts, I skinned, fleshed, and stretched 4 Beavers all 45# or bigger, today. I,m whipped also. Later Bob

Offline Keenan

« Reply #696 on: March 14, 2013, 01:15:43 pm »
Carson (CMB) and Bryce (Pinecone) came over the mountain last weekend and I took them out to a few private ranches to cut gather some juniper and do some bunny hunting. Good thing they only came in a mini van. It sure was a sight to see going down the road with the front tires floating.   LOL

We decided to launch a few arrows off the side of the canyon. Our arrows hit the shell line just below the bottom tip of Bryce's Bow Sure was fun watching them fly across the canyon.

Offline seabass

« Reply #697 on: March 14, 2013, 01:26:54 pm »
that must be one tough van.it's great to see you posting again Keenan,the pics are great.do you think they will let me take that many staves on the plane?lol
Middletown,Ohio

blackhawk

« Reply #698 on: March 14, 2013, 01:30:28 pm »
Woohoo ....juniper city....I see lots of sinewing in the future... :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #699 on: March 14, 2013, 05:51:50 pm »
I've seen pics of Blackhawks van hauling 2 tons of osage before.

Speaking of osage, I decided to cut a little today.  No help and no vehicles to pull it out with so I stayed with some smaller stuff that I could carry.

Here is a little piece I'm keeping for myself.  It is old and super hard.  I think it died many years ago and has been aging gracefully.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Roy

« Reply #700 on: March 14, 2013, 06:19:47 pm »
Nice Clint. I have some old Osage in my barn a guy just gave me a couple months ago. Might let Chicken Hawk have a piece or two:)

blackhawk

« Reply #701 on: March 14, 2013, 08:11:47 pm »
Sweet Clint.....thanks for the teaser pics earlier today while I was at work..it made work a lil more bearable n took my mind off of where I was..lol ;)

Roy its a rare day if I turn down osage  8)

Offline Roy

« Reply #702 on: March 14, 2013, 09:58:07 pm »
Ya I know Chris.:) When I got that Osage I first thought oh chit, then I thought of you and your character bows. Then we had the thread about seasoned wood:) I'm thinken we got some goodies in the barn here. They are old, high and dry, and begging to become bows:) Might even give ya one to give to Ole Pat at the classic. Would love to see that ole long beard Rebel make a sweet bow from one of those Yankee staves:) LOL

blackhawk

« Reply #703 on: March 14, 2013, 10:32:55 pm »
I think it wood be a rare day for long beard to turn down seasoned osage too  ;) ill try to make it down your way before then...

Oh... I ordered me a stave press for running rings,and got it today...I've used them several times and love em for running rings...SOOOOO guess what I did tonight....oh yeah...chasing the yeller dragon  ;D.  I'm gonna try n get a 6' long 2 3/8" dia solid steel from work to post n concrete into the ground outdoors next to my burn pile outside so I can easily move it outdoors n run my rings out there on nice days and it will cut down big time on my chip piles that accumulate on the shop floor. :D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #704 on: March 15, 2013, 09:05:37 am »
Thanks Steve, Have yourself a fun trip to Pappy land and have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :o