Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 848591 times)

Offline sadiejane

Re: What did you do Today?
« Reply #465 on: February 09, 2013, 12:44:32 pm »
a very dear old friend has a 50th bday party tonite!
many of our pals who play music are gonna be there fiddling and strumming and singing and dancing.
all acoustic and all folk/bluegrass.
in much need of a good old fashion swinging good time!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #466 on: February 09, 2013, 12:46:58 pm »
I meant to post this yesterday so it would fit into what I did today. I made a heat treating reflex caul and cut 12 2" holes in it with a hole saw bit ( whew that was some work) for the clamps. I also built a little stand/ holder for the heat gun. I been just rigging something redneck up and finally decided to make something that would make it easier to do and more consistent. Today I will be putting the jig to use by heat treating a little hackberry bow I made my step mom. I will also get another hackberry bow I have roughed out that I started for my wife at least to floor tiller stage as well debarking a couple staves and shooting the stuffed animal course with Rocky later in the afternoon.   Danny

Could you post a picture of your heat gun stand?  Making one of those is on my to do list.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Keenan

« Reply #467 on: February 09, 2013, 01:05:07 pm »
It is fine to post stuff you did days earlier.  ;D This thread is for keepiing us all in touch and sharing life!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #468 on: February 09, 2013, 06:13:25 pm »
I felt better today than I have in 3 weeks. So I headed to the shop for some serious catch up time. I finished gripping a 60# hickory flat bow I started at Martys last weekend, Ryan gave me that stave. Then I tillered out and started sealing a buckthorn beauty Cody gifted me last weekend, I love that stuff mand need more. After that I grabbed my little 46" sinew backed osage bow and tillered it to 26", it perfers 25" and so do I. It felt good to suck dust again, I needed that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #469 on: February 09, 2013, 09:27:56 pm »
Now Drums, you KNOW that I want to see the 46-incher!  Glad you're feeling better.  Sucking dust - I like it..  :laugh:
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Roy

« Reply #470 on: February 09, 2013, 09:55:36 pm »
I got a tri lam to 20 inches on the tree.

Stringman

« Reply #471 on: February 09, 2013, 10:50:29 pm »
Aww man, Roy, now that thing looks convincing!!

Yes, Chris, let's see the sinew bow. I have half a notion to give sinew a try some day in the future and I would like to see your work in the area. BTW, glad you're feeling better. I'm hoping to be over this flu bug before the weekends out.

Scott

Offline ksnow

« Reply #472 on: February 09, 2013, 11:07:37 pm »
I was finally able to start making some wood shavings at my temporary home in Georgia.  I brought my new shaving horse down from WI, picked up a few boards, and I am well on my way to my first made in GA bow.  Can't wait.

Kyle

Offline trad bow

« Reply #473 on: February 09, 2013, 11:33:56 pm »
Slept for the most part as this is my last nite on shift rotation for the next several weeks. Kyle, I have plenty of cane cut for that bow you are working on and can cut more than you can carry back to the northlands if you want some. Even have some hickory staves  ready if you want to try one. I know how it is to be away from home so if you want to just want to  hang out in the swamps and chill some give me a hollar.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #474 on: February 09, 2013, 11:47:37 pm »
Roy that tiller is just about perfect. Great looking bow!

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #475 on: February 10, 2013, 01:34:22 am »
I made 5 knife sheaths today.  Passed along to Pappy a couple yesterday.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #476 on: February 10, 2013, 08:47:27 am »
I dont know how you guys can start tillering a bow, then walk away and finish it later. When I start tillering I feel like Im on a slippery slope and I dont quit til Im shooting it. If it takes 15 minutes or if it takes an hour I finish it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline robby

« Reply #477 on: February 10, 2013, 09:51:50 am »

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep
R.F.
Robby

Offline ksnow

« Reply #478 on: February 10, 2013, 10:02:11 am »
Robby, I thought I was okay at building flintlocks, but that makes mine look like firewood.  Absolutely gorgeous.  Any man would be proud to carry a rifle like that.

Kyle

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #479 on: February 10, 2013, 10:46:00 am »
Sure Clint. Let me get  a pic taken then I'll post it. I stole the idea from one of my bow building students. Its kinda funny so when I post the pics I will tell the story.  By the way got everything done on my list with the exception of gettting the new hackberry to floor tiller. I did gett the belly depth lines layed out on it so when I get rady to put it to the knife it'll be ready for me. Its kind of hard to get everything done when life gets in the way, lol.
 Today will be mostly taken up with spiritual things but I will get two more staves debarked and sealed before the days over. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God