Main Discussion Area > Around the Campfire

What Did You Do Today?

<< < (650/650)

Eric Krewson:
I can take down the fence in the morning and deer will be in the plot that evening. My neighbor has an electric fence around his garden as well, if it ever gets unplugged the deer will be in it in no time. It is either the clicking of the charger that isn't there or they can sense when the fence wire is dead.

I have heard that pigs won't cross a place where an electric fence has been.

Eric Krewson:
Fun foraging today; I saw two trees on the TVA trail Tuesday that were covered up with oyster mushrooms. I had never picked oyster mushrooms before; I had never found them.

I didn't have a bag or bug spray on Tuesday so I went back today and picked two Walmart bags full of them. Of course, I researched them to be sure this is what I found. They have a raw oyster/licorice smell to them, kinda' funky but unmistakable.

Having never eaten them before, I sliced up a few, sautéed them in butter with onion, garlic, fresh ground pepper and salt. Just about the time the onion was done cooking I gave them a splash of dry white muscadine wine. The end result was the best mushrooms I have ever eaten.

I couldn't reach the higher clumps on the first tree, on the second tree about 1/4 mile away I found I could push up on the higher clumps of mushrooms with a long pole, they would come loose easily and fall to the ground.

These mushrooms will go bad in the frig in a few days so I am dehydrating one bag and plan to can the contents of the other bag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version