Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 847516 times)

Offline chamookman

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2145 on: March 10, 2015, 04:30:58 am »
Cool - I like that ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2146 on: March 11, 2015, 09:34:22 pm »
I went on a little walk today and found a nice shed with 6 points on it.  My niece found the other half last week while sled riding.  My brother in law took her for a walk through the creek bed today and they both found a stone point.  We have found 8 or 9 points on our property over the last 30 years so its pretty cool they both found one today.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2147 on: March 11, 2015, 10:30:37 pm »
Still part of the old "Hunting Grounds". Nice finds all around.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #2148 on: March 12, 2015, 12:24:36 am »
Very cool Clint.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2149 on: March 12, 2015, 09:28:28 pm »
Took this picture out the truck window with my cell phone as I pulled onto the road that I live on.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2150 on: March 13, 2015, 12:13:11 pm »
The last two days there was a broken Verizon router in our government system - so there was no computer access for the last two days. Back up this am! Oh - did y'all hear about the guy who thought he was the best archer in the WORLD! Yeah, he was pretty "arrow-gant" ;D

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2151 on: March 14, 2015, 05:16:55 am »
That's funny Ben  :laugh:! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2152 on: March 15, 2015, 09:56:26 pm »
Had another good day of walking in the woods.  I found a stone point in the creek bed, an old chewed up shed antler, and a small osage burl.  I went ahead and cut the burl because I saw bug holes in it.  I sliced it up and sealed it.  Should make some cool looking knife scales.

My brother in law found this point.  It was made from a big flake.  One side looks like a regular stone point and the other is smooth and concave.  Its the first time we have found a point made like that. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #2153 on: March 15, 2015, 11:30:59 pm »
Sounds like a great day, i think lots more points were made like that than not Clint
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2154 on: March 16, 2015, 09:55:15 am »
Your point is actually a scraper made to fit the users fingers, I have found a bunch of them over the years.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2155 on: March 16, 2015, 06:41:55 pm »
Today was a milestone day for me. I grew up in a small town in North Dakota, but left there after my freshman year of high school. Our family bounced around and I ended up in four high schools in four years before graduating. After that, I continued the lifestyle of a rolling stone for a good while before I came to rest in the Black Hills.

Most of you know I run a conservation and wildlife education non-profit that works with raptors and we give a LOT of school programs.  This last fall I got to work on setting up a tour of programs through North Dakota. Two weekend sport shows bracketing a week of school programs.  Two days of those programs are in my old home town.  When I left, I left behind a lot of hurt and pain, some very bad memories a child should never have to endure. 

Today I ran thru 5 presentations for these kids.  After each presentation, I explained to the kids that I grew up in their school, I walked those halls.  I told them about how I had some big dreams and plans for my life....and while some didn''t come true many of them did.  I asked them if they had any plans, any dreams and if they thought they could make them happen.  It turned into a pep rally each time and each grade left the auditorium excited with the idea that THEY HAD PERMISSION TO SUCCEED.

Circle of life.  I chose to not have kids and don't necessarily even like kids. But maybe I can inspire someone else's kids.

Thank you, Mr. David Loock, for all you did, and all you said, and all you implied.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2156 on: March 16, 2015, 10:41:51 pm »
sunday my three youngest grandkids spent the day, the 8 year old Levi and me were outside eating lunch with our feet up on a section of tree trunk and levi kept saying, "what could we make with this log" , I finally got up and went in the garage and came out with a drawknife and showed him how to use it, he worked one end and me the other till we got a decent flat spot, then I handed him the farriors rasp and showed him what do do with it, then he used the belt sander on it and I took a hatchet and made saddles in the feet logs, he wrote his name on it and I burned it in, not a lot of eight year olds know how to use a draw knife i'm guessing

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2157 on: March 29, 2015, 06:49:43 pm »
What a wonderful beautiful warm day!  Fed the horses and the mule early.  There were elk on the skylines on both sides of the house.  It was the first day all winter that it was warm enough to be outside with out the winter clothes so I filled a half drum with water and borax and started boiling the buffalo skull I am sending to John in Iowa for the Sacrid Station at Pappy' farm.  I dug out my knapping gear and set out behind the shop, listened to a book on tape while the skull was being boiled.  Was able to make several knives and a couple of hunting points.  Only broke half a dozen in the process.  When you get old like me it doesn't take much to make for a great day!  I hope all of you PA friends had as good a day as I did!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2158 on: April 05, 2015, 04:42:54 pm »
I went turkey hunting with my flintlock. I sent this as an email to one of my friends;

I built a blind on the dirt hump on the plot behind the club house where had one back in the old  days.  I set up my decoys and listened, I heard three gobblers about 7:30.One was near pea ridge road east, one about a mile south and one somewhere up the hollow behind the old club house almost to pea ridge road.

I heard a fly down cackle  right behind where the old club house was. I called a little every now and then, once the gobbler behind the club house sounded slightly closer but only gobbled once. About 9:00 I must have been caught, didn’t hear a bird come in but am pretty sure I heard it run off. It came from the direction of the club house. My blind was a little thin on that side. The wind was whipping and it was hard to hear.

About 10:00 I decided to check out where I used to hunt back behind Thomas Ray’s land where the tornado crossed Pea Ridge road. It had all been logged and most of it had been in a control burn. I walked the mgt area line instead of trespassing on Thomas’s land, it was a long walk. I saw turkey tracks but didn’t know how to hunt a burned out clear area so I kept going. I set up and called once but it felt like a waste of time.

I heard three or four shots during the morning, way off.

I dropped by to see John Thornton on my way out, he had about 15-20 turkey wings for me in his freezer.

I had my wool on because it was pretty chilly first thing in the morning, after the long walk I was overheated and didn’t feel like hunting anymore when I got back to my truck about 11:30.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2159 on: April 10, 2015, 02:23:26 pm »
This was from yesterday.  We had a close lightening strike at work.