Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 848696 times)

Stringman

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1950 on: June 25, 2014, 12:04:56 am »
I was a little worried that they were gonna be buggy, but I didn't find a single hole! The barrel idea was fine, but I ended up just leaning them against the tree and working the bark off. Sealed em up with wood glue and they're goin in the shed.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1951 on: June 25, 2014, 12:22:12 am »
I can tell by the white pines in the background you don't live in the south where osage with the sapwood left on, even well sealed, will check while you are watching it.

I would be getting that sapwood off regardless.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1952 on: June 27, 2014, 10:16:01 am »
Too much stuff going on to put down daily so I will compress it down to a day.

Put in a huge Ft Knox gun safe for my flintlocks. I had to put 4, 15K lb screw jacks under the floor to support it (tight crawl space). Next I had to put two 4X4s under the floor to bolt it to. I probably belly crawled into this tight space 15 times before I got the job done. Recut the shelves in the safe so my long rifles had enough room to go in the safe. I redid the carpet and trim to look like a factory job.

Put sod on my wife's grave, they flip flopped the top soil and the red clay when they filled it so the zoysia grass around the rest of the cemetery wouldn't  spread onto the grave.

Redid the landscaping around the house, had the ground leveled and zoysia grass sod laid down on half of my large front yard.

Saved seed from my spinach and kale patches, lots of seed, was a pain to separate the seed from the chaff.

Blueberries are getting ripe so I have been picking and freezing every few days.

Worked all day with bow students on several occasions. Fixed and adjusted several bows for folk.

Headed out today to the Catch-A Dream shoot in Enid Ms. so I can get away from all the other projects staring me in the face.

I cut 3 medium sized oaks in the front yard and cut them into firewood lengths. Gave away the stuff that didn't need to be split but have about 2 cords worth of big stuff left, I will borrow a friends splitter, split it into firewood and give away.

I have 8 more medium sized oak trees to cut alongside the house. Anybody need red and white oak bow staves, come get them.   
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:35:37 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline TRACY

« Reply #1953 on: June 27, 2014, 11:18:08 am »
Clint you use osage drivers? >:D

Eric, I'm wore out just reading everything that you've accomplished in a day! Love to see picks of produce and veggie operation.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1954 on: July 03, 2014, 03:53:09 pm »
I gave an R/D long bow and a few arrows away to my oldest (17 yrs) sons buddy. He must have shot that bow 150 times last night and the grin just kept growing! How am I supposed to take it away from him? Seems he is now eager to make his own....:)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1955 on: July 03, 2014, 03:59:44 pm »
Pearl Drums outside of an elementary school offering kids a bow and set of arrows just for a "taste".  First one is on him, freebie man, just try it...you know you wanna...if you don't like it, that's ok, too...come on, all the cool kids are doing it!

Atta boy!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1956 on: July 03, 2014, 04:04:30 pm »
Exactly J-dub. He listened to me ramble for 90 minutes. Keep in mind this young man has harvested a pile of whitetails already, he is a freak. We had to go through stand height, ground blinds, shot distance, sharp broad heads, shot angles, dedicated practice and all that jazz that goes with BOW hunting, and yet has nothing to do with wheely harvesting.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #1957 on: July 03, 2014, 05:14:30 pm »
When I get home from work I'll get the ribs, tri tip and chicken out for tomorrow, my son is bringing brats and stuff, then it's in the pool to goof off with my younger grandsons that we have for the week,  fun fun fun
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1958 on: July 04, 2014, 12:02:03 pm »
Today? Nothing yet. Supposed to be HOT! Last thursday I mailed off a trade item that has taken me a year to finish. I made a redwood canoe paddle from a recycled picnic bench from Yosemite Valley. I carved a north coast killer whale into the blade. That was not my best trade in terms of the time it took me to complete. I hope the recipient is happy with it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1959 on: July 04, 2014, 12:34:07 pm »
I celebrated the Fourth of July by grilling brats, with carmelized onions and hashbrowns with coffee for breakfast at 6:00 a.m. My neighbor called over the fence that I was killing him, his doctor has him on a strict near vegetarian diet. 

Thanks everyone that served!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #1960 on: July 04, 2014, 03:26:10 pm »
I've just finished my new Black locust a few minutes ago :)
And started two new bows  ;D
Bowmaking is controling my complete life >:D
Regards,
Benedikt
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline bubby

« Reply #1961 on: July 05, 2014, 09:10:05 pm »
That paddle came out sweet Ben, today I'm tapeing the sheetrock where I tore out the stove hearth, after that scrape of the rest of the popcorn and texture the ceiling before  i put in the flooring
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1962 on: July 06, 2014, 11:59:24 am »
Went out a did some bowfishing with that short osage Molly I have been working on , it held together and worked out great for the kayak .
Got three of them out if the weeds , had several more but the weeds were so thick that by the time you got the boat to them they would tare loose , so thick that I was sliding my kayak over them to get to where the fish were .

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1963 on: July 07, 2014, 09:53:58 am »
The Alabama traditional state championship is coming up the first weekend in August, I have been shooting in it for 20 years but never really practiced like I should. This year I am setting up a 3D course in my woods so I can realistically practice for the event.

I bought shot up targets after tournaments through the years, patched and painted them to make them serviceable, I have 18 targets now. Most of my targets cost $20 or less, the wolverine in the picture cost me $5

Yesterday I patched a badly shot up leopard that was much worse than I thought when I bought it. I used almost a full can of "Great Stuff" putting it back together.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:58:47 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1964 on: July 07, 2014, 11:48:22 pm »
I had a good afternoon in the garage.  I roughed out a bow on my band saw and didn't like how narrow the limbs were.  It will make a bow, just not the one I have in mind.  I grabbed another piece and got a ring chased on it.  While I had my saw out I decided to cut a piece of the curly osage into slabs for knife handles.  I've never slabbed a chunk of wood before so I wasn't exactly sure what to do.  I just started cutting it into pieces about an inch thick.  While I was cutting them there was a nasty thunderstorm rolling through.  I like working during storms.   

They turned out pretty good I think.  It was some very snakey grain so it has some nice swirls and color in it

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left