Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 848688 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1890 on: May 06, 2014, 11:48:40 pm »
I taught a special needs class about primitive archery.  The class was at Burley high school.  The gall I work withs son is in the class.  It was a very good day :)

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1891 on: May 09, 2014, 04:19:55 pm »
Took the day off to go through my bee hives , things are looking good so far , no swarming and they have some honey capped already , should pick up good with some rain .
Did get stung twice , first time between the shoulder blades in the middle of the back then again when I was about finished with my last hive on the left shoulder , I usually get nailed at least once .

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1892 on: May 09, 2014, 09:45:49 pm »
I spent the first half of the day ripping sapwood off some nice osage staves that Hank and I picked up on the way back from the Classic.  The whole time I was singing:

"Rack of osage
Split for me...
Let me find
A bow in thee..."
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1893 on: May 11, 2014, 12:18:26 pm »
Shop day but not to have fun, taking apart a PTO driveshaft that has too short a inner tub, mighty hard to get the U joint out. I found I have to get the old shaft tube pressed out and a new, longer one pressed in.

Today is weld up the broken weld in my tractor's belly mower wheel support. Bottom line I am not a welder but may be able to stick things back together and make it work. It will look like an amateur did the work.

If I get the above done I am going to retiller a gift bow that the bottom limb got weak on, always the bottom limb.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1894 on: May 13, 2014, 09:15:02 am »
I actually did an OK job on the welding.

I got my PTO shaft pressed in the yoke at a tractor shop, then it was back to the shop to drill through the existing holes in the yoke and through the new shaft for a roll pin to hold everything together. Dang, the shaft is hardened steel, wore out three bits and barely made a dent in the shaft. I didn't have a carbide tipped bit. I would sharpen a bit on my Drill Doctor and dent the shaft a little, resharpen and repeat.

Went back to the puter to look for solutions. One I found was to use a concrete bit, the other was to heat a rod red hot and put it in the hole to anneal and soften the area you wanted to drill.

I tried the red hot rod on one side of the shaft and used a 5/16" concrete bit to drill the hole, popped right through without a problem.

On the other side of the yoke I first inserted the red hot rod then tried to drill with one of my newly sharpened HHS bits, it cut through the shaft like butter.

The internet is an amazing resource for information when you get stumped.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1895 on: May 13, 2014, 09:21:18 am »
The only issue with annealing that metal is it will stay that way Eric. Unless you heat it up red hot and then quench it with water, it remains soft after heating. You may find those holes elongating and stretching on you, better keep an eye on it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1896 on: May 13, 2014, 12:47:18 pm »
Rolled out of bed late this morning, 4:30.  Late because I was supposed to be in the woods by then.  Scouted a few roost sights for turkeys, mixed results.  Best news, there is another gobbler taking up residence on the classic 1-2-8 Roost Site, my all time favorite place.

Iowabow may be arriving as early as tomorrow evening, so he may be doing the 1-2-8 Tiptoe Under The Roost Dance as early as Thursday morning!  If the bird is on the roost and we do our part right, I can guarantee an OPPORTUNITY.  Won't say I guarantee a shot, but he and I both only care for the opportunity, the chance, that's all.  Anything more is just a bonus!

Wish him luck!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1897 on: May 13, 2014, 08:01:03 pm »
The shaft is pressed into the yoke and is like a three corner star in shape and can't rotate, the roll pin is an after thought, no way the shaft can move in or out in the yoke to elongate the pin holes as it has an inner shaft it slips over with 4" play to absorb any shock or movement.

I am a pretty good mechanic, started on hueys and loaches in the sixties, could tear them down to the smallest part and put them back together. Did my own auto mechanicing for a lot of years before I got too lazy.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1898 on: May 15, 2014, 10:17:56 pm »
Today I finished shaping the tips and handle on my daughters bow.  The mail lady dropped off my new canadian rasp just in time to shape the handle.  It worked great.  It cut my handle shaping time in half.  I sanded her bow and sized the back before dinner.  I got some help gluing the skins down.  After we were done she said "Daddy, thank you for making me a new bow".  I could tell she meant it.  Daughters sure have a way of melting your heart.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #1899 on: May 15, 2014, 10:51:17 pm »
Thats great Clint! 
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1900 on: May 17, 2014, 05:15:37 pm »
Miss Glenda went through a Barbie Doll phase, none of her kids wanted her collection after she passed, my granddaughter took a pile of them home with her the last time she was here.

I didn't know how many there were still in the house until I started pulling the sealed boxes out of the closet today, there were 4 big boxes full of them.

Miss Glenda's favorite charity was St Jude so I inventoried the Barbies, put them in 4 different boxes, took pictures and posted each box stuffed with of Barbies individually on the TG St Jude auction. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #1901 on: May 17, 2014, 09:26:29 pm »
that's awesome Clint and I know what ya mean , didn't have any daughtersbut got a couple a granddaughters and they can talk me into most anything
Eric that is a great gesture
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #1902 on: May 18, 2014, 03:31:33 pm »
Split my first ever osage log today. Got it from a buudy who cut it 5 yrs ago and has been in his basement. It's only 50" so looks like I'll be starting on some short bows. Built me a cull this weekend too. Got me a cull and a tillering tree, a leather covered jaw vise and now some staves and two already started bows....no reason for me not to start throwing shavings. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #1903 on: May 18, 2014, 03:38:05 pm »
Looks like some nice osage there, Derik. Nice score.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1904 on: May 18, 2014, 04:06:43 pm »
Nice look'n staves ya got there, Derik
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking