Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 850526 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1545 on: November 18, 2013, 07:16:43 pm »
Sounds like a nice hunt, Outlaw! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1546 on: November 19, 2013, 12:37:45 am »
Today - I helped my wife in one of our gardens - pulling out the old stuff, winterizing a few perennials, picking the last of a few. Finished a repair job on a fifth wheel trailer that had some trouble during a wind storm travelling across Texas. Cut a dozen antlers and fitted obsidian blades to them, I will finish those up tomorrow.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1547 on: November 19, 2013, 11:00:33 am »
The kids were here going through Glenda's stuff so I cooked for them. I started at 10:30 and washed up the last dish at 3:00 in the afternoon.

Years ago none of the kids were to keen on wild game but I corrupted them. I cooked enough for an army but the pots were scraped clean before they left to go back to Nashville. It makes all the work of cooking worthwhile when your guests really love what you made for them.

On the menu yesterday; Deer backstraps quick fried and simmered in mushroom and onion gravy, collard greens, white beans with ham and bacon, mashed potatoes, bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeņos and yeast rolls, mmmmmmm good!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #1548 on: November 19, 2013, 12:22:35 pm »
Eric, I just ate breakfast and that pic has made me hungry again
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1549 on: November 19, 2013, 01:41:36 pm »
I'm packing up and moving in with Eric, ssshhh don't tell my wife where I went please. Between the two of us, we should have enough osage and venison to get by for a long time.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Adam

« Reply #1550 on: November 19, 2013, 01:43:09 pm »
Yeah, thanks a lot Eric. Now I'm starving. ;)

Offline chamookman

« Reply #1551 on: November 20, 2013, 05:10:54 am »
MAN that looks good ! Droolin' on My keyboard - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #1552 on: November 20, 2013, 09:28:55 am »
That is a "Hay Grandpaw, What's fer Supper" moment right there.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1553 on: November 21, 2013, 07:44:28 am »
Congrats on the deer Clint,I use to keep them green snakes[what we called them] as pets,don't see many anymore.  :-\ Eric can I come visit  ;) ;D ;D man a meal fit for a king. :) Yum. Sounds like you are getting into some deer,just a matter of time,you need to do like I do,look for the dumb ones. ;) :) :) Scoot ,hate it when that happens,but all we can do is try our best for a clean killing shot and as JW said track to the best of our ability. Lots of times they just don't die,they bleed but don't die and you ant going to find them. I have killed several late in the season that I had shot and tracked early in the season. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1554 on: November 21, 2013, 11:06:52 am »
Another email sent to my land owner friend from yesterday, we hunt with sidelock M/Ls this time of year in Tn.

Mike shot a doe yesterday up near the cedar lane, killed her. About 15 minutes after he shot the doe a huge buck came in trailing another doe. He shot this buck, had a sprayed blood trail down to about the dove field, then things slowed down. He said the shot was behind the shoulder but real low.

He called about noon and I went up to help track. I picked up the trail where he lost it, very spotty with only a small drop every 20 ft or so. I followed the track and occasional fleck of blood across the main road, up the hill to the bench you and I jumped the deer you helped me recover. The deer then followed the trail by your abandoned ol man treestand. This is where I saw the last blood.

I followed tracks around the side of the ridge until the deer crossed the main road a couple yards above the main road plot. At this point we talked ourselves into thinking a deer that went so far, over 1/2 mile, without laying down and had stopped bleeding was probably going to be OK.

This morning I got to thinking, we didn't look enough. We are going back in about 12:30 to hunt through the tornado damage, I am pretty sure this is where the deer was headed.

Yesterday I had just come back from the lifting weights at the gym and had speed walked 4 miles around the TVA trail before Mike called. My butt was dragging, Mike had been looking since 10:00 and was in about the same shape. Our fatigued condition had a lot to do with us pulling off the trail but we are rested today and ready to look some more.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:13:06 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #1555 on: November 21, 2013, 07:55:07 pm »
best of luck(or persistence) Eric.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1556 on: November 21, 2013, 09:00:04 pm »
We covered a lot of ground today without a sign of the deer. Probably isn't hurt too badly.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1557 on: November 22, 2013, 02:19:28 am »
In a plow truck right now watching for freezing precipitation , had a little about ten o'clock on the mirrors but dry for the moment . I'll cover a lot of miles tonight , gotta love slowing down to 35 mph to dust a bridge with salt and the traffic is flying past you at 75 mph .
Stay safe everyone and happy holidays .

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #1558 on: November 22, 2013, 09:04:13 am »
Today I split out my first log into billets.  Green Ash, about 8 inches diameter and 4 foot long
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1559 on: November 22, 2013, 11:59:35 am »
We got a dump fire going in the next county.. Started last monday don't envy those guys out there fighting it... It was about -30c for a few days.. dumping 10-12000 gph on it.. Got to truck every drop of water out there.. Wind changed sinks bad in town can't imagine what's it like out there... County is a volenteer dept. Can't get water bombers out lakes are froze over..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano