Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 850898 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1515 on: October 31, 2013, 07:11:52 pm »
I'm hangin', Clint, Thanks. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #1516 on: November 01, 2013, 10:25:15 am »
My last day off, I heat treated my trade points, and dropped one

Made me frown
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Stringman

« Reply #1517 on: November 01, 2013, 11:54:57 am »
Our church had a little "give candy and hotdogs to every little curtain climber that comes by" last night and I was delighted to be the grill guy.

Had me hoppin for a couple hours.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1518 on: November 03, 2013, 09:28:14 am »
Scott Im a sucker for blackened dogs, those poor kids would have been in trouble if I was manning the grill!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1519 on: November 04, 2013, 10:17:08 pm »
Today was the day.  I took the newly refinished and refurbished .36 caliber flintlock out to the woods to sing her siren song.  I had dug out the chronograph along with some of those targets that go bang when you hit 'em.  I had the spotting scope and a 6' x 6' piece of canvas tarp to put down on the ground to keep everything neat and tidy.  I made up a little barrel cleaner solution from murphy's oil soap, peroxide, and ammonia...all in a nice tiny little blue glass bottle I found when I was a kid.  I fetched along an extra long hickory ramrod that had been soaking in a copper pipe fulla boiled linseed oil for three years just for loading and cleaning.  Yup I was ready as all billy-heck.

When I got there I realized I forgot to put patches in the shooting bag.  I went thru the jeep top to bottom and could not find a rag to save my soul.  I even checked my skivvies.  Must have been a heck of a sight with my pants around my ankles and me bending over trying to read the fiber content on my tightey-whiteys.  Danged ol' 60% cotton, 40% polyester!

So me and the dog took a walk.  We stayed out later than I expected because SOMEONE DIDN'T HAVE TO CLEAN A FLINTLOCK WHEN HE GOT HOME!!!!

>:(
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1520 on: November 04, 2013, 10:42:48 pm »
JW , I've had those forgetful moments lately , seems like every other time I go out hunting I forget my shooting glove , I leave the house thinking I have everything until I get seated in the blind then notice I don't have it ( I just go without it even though my blind is only sixty yards from my house , easer to keep an eye on the camera and feeder that way , there are some sticky fingers around here lately ).
As do my day , I got up this morning sat in the house eating breakfast and drinking coffee while watching a small buck down at the feeder then went to work , had to drag two deer off the road a doe and a ten point buck ( eight with split eyeguards ) not a hudge rack but a lot of mass , it's going to get busy with rut going on , does every year about this time, all well , just part of my job , at least I get a good idea of when the rut is on.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #1521 on: November 05, 2013, 06:07:19 pm »
same thing i did all last week..sat in a blind and got nuthin but soakin wet!!!  ???
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1522 on: November 05, 2013, 07:11:39 pm »
Watched a buck chasing a doe at work and when I got home went straight to my blind , haven't seen a thing yet .

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #1523 on: November 07, 2013, 03:42:31 pm »
Woke up this morning to see a herd of elk on the sky line behind the house and a bigger herd in the hills across the road.  They seem to know where they have the best chance of ex scape (private property)!  Have only been out once this year with Hawk Huston with our bows and we had no luck.  Only have cow tags and they are mighty hard to get close to with all the rifle hunters around.  Was going through some old hunting slides and found a two hour video that I have never watched (no player).  Its titled "Making Fluted Points with the Sollberger Jig with Woody Blackwell."  Back in the 70s I had a long distance friendship with JB.  I would send him a box of elk, moose, deer horns, some obsidian and he would send me some of his points.  He was a plumber by trade in Dallas, but was a superior knapper and taught his skills in the local universities and also some in France.  Over the years he would write letters to me with all his calculations most of which I never understood.  He did manage to help me clean up my hunting points and I managed to harvest most everything but a sheep and an antelope with them. Somewhere packed away in my shop is one of his jigs.  His Folsoms are extremely thin.  I have no idea what my collection of JB's points is worth.  Have been thinking of finding a home for the letters he sent with his calculations as they probably need to be keep somewhere so people can study them.  Am going to try to find a player so I can watch the video.  The video features the following:  the jig, the preform, the platform, making Clovis points, making Folsom points, making Cumberland points, making Wenatchee points, controlling flute length, pressure flaking technique, trouble shooting, general tips and advice, next generation jigs, and detailed plans for building a Sollberger Jig.  Even though I never met JB to shake his hand and set with him to watch his techniques I felt a great loss when he died.  He was a smoker and with all his knapping he died of silicosis.  Thanks for reading this message!  Joe   
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Stringman

« Reply #1524 on: November 07, 2013, 04:02:21 pm »
Wow, what a treasure. Sounds like he was a legend and I can't imagine the kind of information that might be hiding in those letters and the video. If it's not too much trouble I sure would like to see some of his points. Take care, friend! Hope to see you and Hawk at the classic again!

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #1525 on: November 08, 2013, 09:51:03 am »
Would post some pictures of the points if I knew how.  I took them to the Classic several years ago but not many got to see them.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1526 on: November 08, 2013, 07:19:33 pm »
I shot my flintlock fowler a bunch of time trying to work up a round ball load. Just about the time I think I had it grouping it would start spraying balls all over the place. I changed from a .690 to a .700 ball and it seemed to be doing pretty well but need more testing to be sure. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1527 on: November 09, 2013, 03:00:34 pm »
Today I watched a group of does go by just out of range  :(   Fixed some wind damage on the house  >:(   I just got done raking the trail to my morning stand and cutting down a dead osage tree that was rubbing on a white oak every time the wind blows.  The other morning that squeaky tree spooked off a big doe that was a few steps away from being dead.  I should be all set for the morning now. 

I think I'll debark a few osage staves before I head to the woods this evening.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1528 on: November 09, 2013, 05:52:44 pm »
Reworked my brush blind , the cedars are drying out and the wind had loosened it up so I added some new limbs and opened another hole to shoot out ( could have got a fork horn if I had opened it up last weekend ) .
Had my biggest buck so far this year , my feeder is 130 yards from my house so I can keep track of my camera and feeder ( there can be some sticky fingers and a few can't read a posted sign ), watched the nine point buck for about fifteen minutes chasing does befor they left . Wanted to put a stalk on him but had to go to work , tod my boss about it and he said I should have got the buck gutted it and brought it to work to skin and cut up ( my boss is a big hunter , he went to Africa this year , lucky man ), who knew , gues if he shows up again befor work one day I'll try .
Hunted yesterday evening but the wind was bad , think I got wind burn on my face , went out again this morning but nothing , herd a buck grunting in the timber but he didn't come out , back in the blind now , maybe they will feed early .

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #1529 on: November 10, 2013, 11:55:37 am »
Went hunting yesterday, no luck in the stand all day with winds gusting at 25 to 35 mph all day. Corn being picked around here and the lady bugs were everywhere, about a thousand on my truck when I came back at lunch time.
This morning while having my coffee I read all about those pesky ladybugs with my 3yr. old granddaughter who
spent the night with us. Deer are starting to rut but I'll be home playing with the princess today, all good.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.