Author Topic: new guy board bow question  (Read 1640 times)

Offline JonD.

new guy board bow question
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:37:03 pm »
I'm a new guy, not only to this board, but bow building as well. I've read a lot of threads on here as a guest and this is a great forum. I've also just subscribed to PA magazine and can't wait for the first issue.

I've started on a white oak board bow in the pyramid design with a 5 inch stiff handle section. This bow is 74" ttt(I have a 32" draw) with 2" wide limbs that taper to 1/2 " nocks. The grain on the back is perfectly parallel all the way down the length of the bow and the ring lines on the side are just slightly a couple of degrees off parallel with the back(bias ringed board). I plan on applying a synthetic snake skin backing(3rivers copperhead) just for decoration. While shaping my handle, I mistakenly rounded it with a rasp slightly into the back of the bow without thinking about what I was doing. Heres my question. Is this bow kindling now, or will it be OK with the light backing? Thanks a lot!

blackhawk

Re: new guy board bow question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:42:01 pm »
Sounds like you have a good plan and are on the right track for your first try...kudos for doing some homework ;) all the corners on a bow should be rounded and radiused because it helps prevent splinters popping and just looks better aesthically...so I'm sure your fine...round and sand all your corners before any serious bending..and if its stiff in the handle and you went way over close to center it'll still be fine cus it won't be bending there

Welcome to pa....do you know the path you've decided to travel down?  >:D

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 08:48:11 pm »
x2 you can't go wrong with blackhawks advice (but only when it comes to bows >:D) sounds like your on the right track
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline JonD.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:06:29 pm »

Welcome to pa....do you know the path you've decided to travel down?  >:D

I think so... I recently received the remaining three TBB volumes as a Christmas gift(I bought the first one last year), and I have some walnut and black locust staves waiting to be made into bows, along with some arrow shafting material and last years turkey feathers and a big pile of flint rocks. Been lookin for a good hedge tree, but just not found one to suit me yet. Seem to be able to find all kinds of them in places I can't cut them. :laugh:

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:15:13 pm »
Yup...your hooked  ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 09:56:40 pm »
with a stiff handle your fine, this build may help, Bubhttp://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 07:01:29 am »
yep im also new to PA and to bow building ive only made a few. i dont bowhunt but i do trap and pretty soon i will be usin jaw traps. opps went a bit off topic there, anyway i would say you started off much bettter than me especially scince you got th TBB series, and you already have some staves, i may be going down to a luber yard next week and i will get either ash or white oak, anyway i wish you an anormous amount of luck whith your bow building. 8)
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee