Author Topic: Sinew question  (Read 3053 times)

Offline coaster500

Sinew question
« on: January 05, 2013, 12:03:11 pm »
Is sinew all the same...  I mean tendon sinew or backstrap ....  sinew from a deer, elk or cow?? Is some better??? Does some work better to produce more performance???

I don't have access to enough deer or elk but I did process some beef to try out. Has anyone done this?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinew question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 12:09:17 pm »
Kip, I believe all sinew is the same but some is longer that others. Backstrap is obviously longer than leg and elk is longer than deer. I've never used cow sinew but I have heard it is real greasy and hard to seperate but the sinew itself is as good as any.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 12:25:21 pm »
I takes a bit to get it clean but it sure makes some long strands. I'll try it on a bow and see what happens.

....  pulled straight they are about a foot long.

After shooting the trade bow that Matt built for me I am interested in seeing what sinew will do for one of mine :)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:33:08 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:01:44 pm »
I did obe bow with leg tendon and 6 or 7 with back strap tendons, I'll take back tendons ALL day. Much easier to process, more ground is covered per piece and it lays flatter..........for me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 02:20:11 pm »
Coaster:  The bow I made for you was with cow leg tendons.  Personally, I like it the same as whitetail.  My absolute favorite is buffalo sinew but I have no sources for it.  Would love to get my hands on more.  If you have any questions about the process, feel free to drop me a note.  Good luck!   Matt
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 02:46:10 pm »
Maybe I'm cutting out the backstrap sinew wrong because I can get longer pieces from the back legs of deer.  I use leg sinew for all of my backing jobs because I can get about all the legs I can handle from a local processer.  The only back pieces I get are from the deer I kill.  I don't mind processing the leg pieces.  I keep a few in my desk drawer at work  ;) 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 02:50:24 am »
Matt your bow is the first sinew backed bow I have had in my hand and shot. I like the snap!!! It feels very quick. I'm glad to know it was from a cow tendon. I may take you up on the help ...  Thank you all :)