Author Topic: splitting wood  (Read 3612 times)

Offline david w.

splitting wood
« on: October 13, 2007, 10:08:35 pm »
tomorrow i am going to split some hickory. i will be looking for a 4" tree.  i dont have wedges so i am going to use a hatchet instead and hit it with a malit.  Once i get it split , if i get it split,  do i need to take the bark off? or can i leave it on? i dont have a draw knife so i can i use a hatchet to get the bark off if i need to?

thanks
davidw.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

hunterman

Re: splitting wood
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 10:19:20 pm »
      from what i know i think you take the bark off.
at least that's what i did,and my bow turned out fine  8)

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 10:25:59 pm »
Make yourself some wooden wedges ,from the branches. If it's not to late the bark may slip right off .If it doesn't, leave it on for now .That way you don't have to seal the back of the staves.

Ralph

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 05:57:00 am »
Though we don't get Hickory over here in England I would say the following. You don't need a draw knife. Any knife caan be used to debark. A 4 to 6 inch sharp blade can lever some barks off or can cut and scrape outer and then inner bark off. An axe or hatchet is not ideal as it is more likley to damage the outer surface, cut through growth rings etc.
You can make wooden wedges out in the woods, or make some to take with you. Get the split started on an end (the thicker end) with the hatchet and mallet, making sure the split goes exactly through the centre pith. Don't knock the hatchet in too far or too hard. As soon as you can get a wedge in there or there is a real danger of getting the hachet stuck.
Good wood hunting.

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 05:16:20 pm »
thanks i will go in a few minutes out to the woods
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 09:54:07 pm »
Making wooden wedges from the limbs is an excellent idea, and it works. You might want to take a tree that's a little thicker than 4" if you have a choice. Good luck.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.