Author Topic: Dumb newby stave question  (Read 5952 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Dumb newby stave question
« on: September 30, 2007, 01:36:42 am »
I've wanted to make a bow for a very long time - grabbed my saw and went for a hike to find some vine maple.  Not knowing a thing about finding a stave, nor making a bow .. I know, I should start slow...  I picked out the straightest I could find, but thought bigger diameter would be better.  No idea.  What is the best diameter stave for vine maple.  I did mark the "up" side.  In my reading, some say to start it green and others say let it cure - which is best?  should I take the bark off when its green?

I need a book - I know.  But the native americans didn't have books.  :)

Help getting started?

Anyone have a picture to share of a few freshly cut wood staves so I can see what they're supposed to look like?

I really want to get into this.  Thanks!
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline DanaM

Re: Dumb newby stave question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 07:09:19 am »
Vine Maple - Compression versus Tension examples - Example #2!!!

Hope the link works, don't know if bigger is better for vine maple, do know that it is usually easier to remove bark when its green, and yer right for marking the up side of the tree, this will be the tension wood, when you split or saw the log in half it the tension side will dry with a extreme reflex, you may even have to strap it down to a 2x4 or something to prevent it from taking to much reflex and or twisting. You came to the right place for help as the guys on here are the best but with it being hunting season and all traffic is down. Post some pictures of the wood you cut and someone can help, Welcome to the site hope you enjoy.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Beleg813

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 11:30:51 am »
Hey BigWapiti!

From what I've read here on the forums, the Bowyer's Bible vol 1-3 are highly recommended. They are an invaluable resource much like these forums :)

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 01:18:11 pm »
Vine Maple - Compression versus Tension examples - Example #2!!!
Hope the link works, ...

I don't think the link was attached DanaM.  But, in my reading last night, I think I saw the post you are referring to.  VM split in half, compression laying flat and the tension half bending up at the ends.  It gave a Great visual!
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 01:20:30 pm »
From what I've read here on the forums, the Bowyer's Bible vol 1-3 are highly recommended. They are an invaluable resource much like these forums :)

Thanks for the tip - last night I read about the Boyer's Bible enough times that I jumped on Amazon and ordered Vol 1.

Where has this forum been all my life??  :)  I found it just by doing a search for vine maple stave how-tos.  This is great!

btw, I also cut some VM shoots last night wondering if they'd be good for arrow making - why not go all the way!  eh?

Mike B.
Central Washington State

carpespasm

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 01:47:36 pm »
once you debark the wood, you should seal the ends with something waterproof to keep the ends from cracking. Many people use wood glue, I've had good luck with dipping the ends in a few layers of hot liquid candle wax.

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 03:50:26 pm »
Until I get my book (Bowyers Bible V1) I'm dying to play, besides its raining here in Central WA today -

What do i do to remove the bark?  scrape it, or??

I thought I'm not supposed to nick the bow back?  or do I leave the bark on that side?
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 08:21:13 pm »
Vine maple'sgrowth rings are so thin you have to be careful getting the bark off especially now that its fall the bark won't peal easily. I would suggest using a scraper only very carefully with good light so you can hopefully see the ring yer working on. Slow and easy, lots of patience its not race take yer time and have fun with it,
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 09:52:51 pm »
... so you can hopefully see the ring yer working on. Slow and easy, lots of patience its not race take yer time and have fun with it,

I'm hoping the book explains this "following" and "seeing the ring your working on" part, I'm trying to visualize it but having a tough time.  Do you basically follow the darker brown part of the ring?  Not trying to hit the white below it?  Or the white?  I presume the brown as that seems to be the pithy part of a ring, right?

Thanks
Mike B.
Central Washington State

a finnish native

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 02:17:17 pm »

Offline BigWapiti

Mike B.
Central Washington State