Author Topic: Howdy from GA  (Read 1377 times)

Offline JT

Howdy from GA
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:59:04 pm »
I want to start by sayin, this is a great forum. I recently registered & just today subscribed to the mag.
I've been huntin with & shootin a factory recurve for about the last 10yrs. I just recently attended an informal bow makin class & have busy turnin a hickory tree into staves, roughin out a couple of bows for faster dryin & buildin a small osage bow for my daughter.  The osage stave was given to be by a fine man called HatchetDan down in south Georgia. I have my first one almost done. Dont have pics yet & will try to get some up soon.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the bow building tips & tricks. I've already learned alot but have a long way to go. As someone on here said, " this sure is addicting."

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Howdy from GA
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 10:03:02 pm »
Welcome! I prefer to think of it as a hobby!  ::) (just a controlled addiction) Although some guys might not have it under control  ::) :P  :laugh: Its truly an amazing hobby, and really is something fun!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline mattbowen

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 10:04:10 pm »
Hello from SC

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:08:18 pm »
Welcome JT, good to have you here. Look forward to seeing some bows from ya, now get to making some you'll love it. :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:28:17 pm »
Welcome to PA fella!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 12:04:17 am »
Welcome to PA, JT. Where in GA are you from? I was born and lived in Savannah until I was 28...that was 35 years ago though.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 12:16:04 am »
Howd do Gawga!  Welcome
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline JT

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 12:49:44 am »
Welcome to PA, JT. Where in GA are you from? I was born and lived in Savannah until I was 28...that was 35 years ago though.  ;D
I'm from North Ga not too far from you. Around Young Harris. I live just south of Atlanta but go to Savannah often. My boss lady loves Tybee & me likes to fish.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

My wife thinks bows have turned my brain to mush. I have a mild case of OCD & now that hunting season is over she was looking forward to a trip to Tybee & a  little help around the house till turkey season comes in, but now I got bows on the brain.  ;)

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 01:26:54 am »
Haha! No serious, you go easy on that there Osage.  Word is them yeller trees, gets in your veins somehow. No joke, you start laying up nights wondering about pin knots and growth rings. For long you're blowing your nose to see if its time to come in. You just stick to that hickory if you know what good for ya. Hickory is safe, it's easy wood, it don't waylay ya like the "king!"  You keep playing around with that bodark, and your wife's gonna have more to say than "lets go to Tybee!" She's gonna be saying "you can change outside!" And "Don't you be bringing that monkey wood in my house!!"

I say stick with Hickory... And when it gets too much and you just can't stand yourself no longer... Well... Don't say I did t warn ya!!  ::)

Have fun and welcome!
Scott

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 06:41:46 am »
Welcome and enjoy. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 10:47:21 am »
JT, remind your wife that after deer hunting season and before turkey season is bow building season!  ;)  I'm sure she'll understand.  ::)
Tybee is a great place to visit. I used to spend any extra time I could at the beach, surfing and fishing but that was long ago. My wife tries to get to Tybee as often as possible.
  In late July I have a primitive skills weekend at my home near Brevard. You are welcome to join us if you can. Watch for "Patty's Camp-O-Rama" posts in early summer for more info.
  Also, check out The Tenn. Classic just north of Nashville in early May. If you can go to no other event you won't be sorry going to this. Pappy and the boys at Twin Oaks put on quite an event. Just read some of the threads about it.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC