Author Topic: Twister Staves  (Read 2151 times)

Offline bow101

Twister Staves
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:13:52 pm »
I see many~many twisted staves here and all over the WWW. Now tell me what kind of bow do you end up with, having twisted limbs. Many limbs cannot be ironed out with all the knots and holes.!!! 
Do Twisted Stave bows  shoot well..?     
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Twister Staves
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:20:00 pm »
They shoot as good as any other bow if the bowyer does his/her job right. I personally wouldnt waste my time with a piece of wood that wont make a great hunting bow. Its what I do, its what I love and its why I build bows and arrows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 05:40:32 pm »
With patience and a decent heat gun, a 6 ft osage stave will give up over 100 degrees of twist.  I've done it with some pretty ugly mulberry, too.  There may be parts of the stave riddled with pin knots or a dead knot that you should leave the heck alone....you gotta learn to pick your battles. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 05:49:41 pm »
...you gotta learn to pick your battles. 

Truer words have never been spoken. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:30:58 pm »
You can rough out the bow twisted.  Put the handle in a vice and put either a wrench or a clamp on the nock end.  Hang some weight off of the clamp or wrench.  I support the limb with a broken golf club so it doesn't sag.  Start near the vice with slow and gradual heat.  Once it is hot enough you will see the end start to untwist.  I usually heat around a third of the limb at a time working my way from the handle to the tip. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:46:54 pm »
My best bow is named 'Twister' :).
It just takes some care in the tillering to make sure it tracks back straight keep extra tip width to start width to allow plenty of adjus ment to help fight the twist and find the right alignment.
.Not really the sort of thing you can do without a fair bit of experience under your belt. Buton the other hand, the only way you'll get the experience is by tryingit!
Making bows has almost limitless variety, if we just stuck to dead straight even timber of one species we'd all go crazy, mind we're pretty crazy already.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 06:51:44 pm »
mind we're pretty crazy already.
Del

Speak for yourself, Mr the Cat.  I asked all the voices in my head and every last one of them said we are as sane as anyone.  Now excuse me, I need to polish my aluminum foil hat. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.