Author Topic: just checking  (Read 6554 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
just checking
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:59:22 pm »
Hi all, just checking in here to see what's going on with the  bow of the Month contest... are we still doing it? I sure do hope so it's a valid part of the magazine , and a joy to participate in ;)
 In addition kinda curious if The bow of the year is going on again this year... I know it's a little early for that just kinda excited.... I hope everything is well with everybody , thank you for doing it thus far , and I hope to see what's going on...
Thanks thad
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Will H

Re: just checking
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:51:05 am »
My thoughts exactly Soy! What's going on???
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:24:22 am »
That's a good question Soy.  BOM is the first thing I flip to when I get my grubby fingers on a new issue.  I would be pretty disappointed if it were to be discontinued.  It also begs the question, how many folks that bought subscriptions to enter BOM would not renew their subscription if the BOM went away?  I hope that is not the case.  But it is something to be considered.  Just food for thought I guess.  Josh

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:26:25 pm »
I suspected the contest would die when they changed the rules; I hope I haven't been proven right... And yes, they did try to bump sales by refusing admittance into the contest for non-subscribers. I hope somebody is willing to hit the reset button and make entry automatic for all bow posters. Remember when there were regularly 30+ bows in the contest?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:47:44 pm »
I suspected the contest would die when they changed the rules; I hope I haven't been proven right... And yes, they did try to bump sales by refusing admittance into the contest for non-subscribers. I hope somebody is willing to hit the reset button and make entry automatic for all bow posters. Remember when there were regularly 30+ bows in the contest?

Those were the good old days.

Jon

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:52:00 pm »
you would think they would let us know whats going on, but I remember months before the rule change when there weren't a lot of bows, are ya'll entering bows? heck I enter all mine pretty shure I wont win anyway, make shure y'all do the same, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 06:50:28 pm »
Absolutely bubby, every bow I make I put up ;) and I agree communication is key , that's why I'm just checking to see what's going on here

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 08:53:11 pm »
Well I'm responsible for part of the BOM duties, and if the contest has been kiboshed, that's news to me.  I suspect that either someone has been really busy and is just a little behind, or else there simply haven't been any entries. I would think as long as there are volunteers willing to take care of the contest (which there are), it will carry on. 

I am somewhat indifferent to the "subscribers only" policy.  I'm not trying to sway anyone either way, but this is the way I look at it - I consider my subscription fee to indirectly be a donation to this forum.  Being able to read a magazine that I enjoy and enter bows into a friendly competition is just a bonus.  We need to keep in mind that without the magazine, not only would there be no BOM contest, there would be no forum.  Subscriptions are what keep the magazine alive, which in turn keep the forum's servers running.  As has been mentioned numerous times before, the magazine hardly makes anything from copies sold off the shelf.

I miss the good old days too, but there comes a time when we just have to bury our grudges and move on.  I can't speak for the Primitive Archer magazine, but I suspect that if the survival of the BOM contest is ever threatened, it will not be due to lack of willingness from the magazine, or the forum's volunteers that take care of organizing it, but rather from a lack of support by the forum's members. 

Offline Will H

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 09:32:39 pm »
Well I'm glad to hear it's still going :) I agree with the fact that we need to support the magazine, I've loved reading it's pages since I was a kid. Been a subscriber for a while now. I wonder if subsciption numbers are up since changing the rules of the contest?

Soy, Bub, did y'all submit any bows for Dec? Maybe there just weren't enough entries?
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 01:09:28 am »
Yes in fact i have 2 in for dec... but November hasn't even been up yet and no mention was made about not having enough participants if that were the case understandable... but say something... as far as the magazine subscriptions are considered I support the magazine regardless I was purchasing the magazine before I started making... and have no ill intentions toward anybody here just wondering what was going on ;)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 01:57:36 am »
Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to point the finger or single anyone out.  It's great that you guys support the magazine.  If there were entries submitted then I can't explain why the voting hasn't been posted.  I'll see if I can find out.  The people with the answers may not be reading this since this is not a very active section on the forum.

I am guilty of not entering any bows since subscribing, but that's only because I haven't been making any.  A problem I hope to remedy in the near future :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:01:37 am by Cameroo »

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:26:43 am »
Soy thanks for posting this and for all the others checking in on this. I just NOW realized reading over this and checking the contest that we did not have a contest for November. Is that correct? I thought I had sent one in to Ed. I was just getting ready to send all the December entries. If we didn't have a November BOM I will get it up soon as well as December and then we can do a BOY contest.

I don't really know how I lost a whole month BOM with November. I am sorry about that and apologize and will get the contest up in a few days.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 06:43:37 am »
Well I'm glad to hear it's still going :) I agree with the fact that we need to support the magazine, I've loved reading it's pages since I was a kid. Been a subscriber for a while now. I wonder if subsciption numbers are up since changing the rules of the contest?

Soy, Bub, did y'all submit any bows for Dec? Maybe there just weren't enough entries?

will the last bow I finished was Oct, finishing up a maple now and got an osage and hackberry in the works, had a couple break, even got 7 stitches out of one ;D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 07:37:48 am »
Holy smokes bub are you okay :o a break requiring stitches it's a serious deal!!!
 Cippy/cam... thank you for this response not trying to push, just wondering seems our couple months back...imho this is the best place on the net to be and I thank you all for making it possible to participate in such a unique event ;)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 07:39:21 am »
P.s. I didn't forget about you George :D and anyone else involved behind the scenes! ;)