Author Topic: $200 to Spend @ Home Depot  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Dane

Re: $200 to Spend @ Home Depot
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 05:15:05 pm »
I don't think the Evil Place, as I call it, carries draw knives. Better to go to antique stores and find those for about 20-40 dollars. Mine I paid 45 for from a guy selling tools out of his barn, a 110 year old drawknife I just love.

Rasps and files are good investments. A bandsaw there for under $200 will be one of those 8" benchtop models, which can be used, but you have to factor in it is not a 14" Grizzly.

A vice is a good thing to put on your shopping list.

Other places I recommend are Habor Freight. YOu get what you pay for, and a lot of the stuff is junk, but they do have some good deals. I got a 12" 1.5 HP disk sander that had been discontinued and was a floor model for about 85 dollars, and that sucker is reliable and great to use.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 05:17:41 pm »
Id get a ceiling mounted air filter. Thats the best money I have spent, including my bandsaw. It cuts the dust down by 70% or better in my shop. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 06:28:06 pm »
<snip>...It cuts the dust down by 70% or better in my shop.
...Hold it, just a second, building bows produces dust???   :o :embarassed:

OneBow

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 08:25:36 pm »
Don't forget to go to your local farm supply store and get a ferriors rasp for around $20.  Home Depot doesn't have those. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left