Author Topic: Mechanic advice needed  (Read 2224 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Mechanic advice needed
« on: December 31, 2012, 08:45:43 pm »
I could use a little mechanic advice on my car.  It is a 96 saturn.  It started running rough and the engine light started flashing.  I had an auto parts store check the code and it is Cylinder #4 not firing.  I replaced the plugs, wires, and coil pack and nothing has helped.  I can't think of anything else to replace on it.  It might just be on its way out.  It has been burning a quart of oil a week since summer.  This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.  I've had it for 12 years and put 218,000 miles on it.  Up until last week it was still getting 33-35 mpg, which is great because I drive 75 miles round trip to work.  I don't want to put a lot of money into it.  Does anyone have a clue on what it could be? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: Mechanic advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:28:12 pm »
Could be the fuel injector.
Steve Bennett

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:01:36 pm »
how hard/expensive is that to fix?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 10:59:12 pm »
I would get a cheap compression tester to see where the compression is at. Fuel injector is a good thing to look into, can you disconnect, a be sure there is fuel getting to the injector?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:02:16 pm »
Make sure you are getting spark at the plug. You can get a light tester, unplug the spark plug ,plug in the bulb and have someone turn the key and check. Just because the stuff is new I would still check.

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 02:23:05 am »
where did you buy the new plugs?i bought new plugs at autozone.my car ran worse.i asked my mechanic uncle about it.he told me that discount auto parts strores got second plugs.i took it with a grain of salt until he showed me different.out of six new plugs,four had a weak spark.i went to napa and bought six more.problem solved instantly.i am  not saying that is the problem,but it is worth checking into.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Roy

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:54:02 am »
If it's burning a quart of oil a week and not firing on one cylinder, I would suspect a problem with the piston myself, cracked ring/rings. Wouldn't matter if a new plug was installed or not, if oil is leaking by the rings, it could foul out a new plug rather quickly. Or if the rings are cracked real bad, you won't get much compression at all in that cylinder.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 10:14:17 pm »
Osage compression check is very sound advice that will tell you if the problem is internal. and while your there check all the pistons I think with the oil burning you'll find that piston will have much lower compression than the others. It sounds to me like your head gasket is blown between an oil port and that piston, this has happened to me on two different rigs. Not a real spendy fix and while your in that far you mint want to look in to the timing belt and any other components that commonly wear out, so you don't fix one problem just to have another in a month or two. I've made that mistake many times :o that's what I get for being cheep ;D. Checking all your pistons compression can help you to determin if it's worth the fix, if all your pistons have far lower compression than they are supposed to have it would show the engine is probably getting wore out. I think you'll find the one piston is going to be your only real problem, where it ran fine and got good miledge till now. Good luck and if you do the fix and are uncertain take pictures as you go to give you a visual guide as you put it back together and buy a Chiltons book to help guide you along. Hope you getter fixed soon and happy new year! Hugh
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 10:34:18 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.  Checking compression is far beyond my abilities.  I have very limited mechanical skills.  I'm just not sure if it is worth putting much money into.  I guess I'll have to take it somewhere and have them give me an estimate on it and go from there.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 04:25:55 am »
Hey Clint, don't ya just love those old Saturns?  Mine is a 99 and has 267,000 miles on it. Don't know how much further mine will go either.  It'll be a sad day when it finally fails.  All those miles and all I've done is change oil and replace tires, brakes and clutches.  Mine uses a little oil too, but not that much.  Hope you're able to keep it running.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 10:53:45 am »
Yes George it will be a sad day indeed.  It doubled as a truck for many years.  I've hauled lumber, deer, and an 8' steel door in it.   It could take a hit to.   Around 9 years ago I hit a deer and totaled it.  The deer landed on the roof and smashed it in a little.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 07:09:15 pm »
The first thing I do when a cylinder is not working is check the spark plug to see if it's wet.  If it's wet then there's fuel getting there but no spark.  If it's dry then there's no fuel.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 03:52:43 pm »
I dropped it off at a shop yesterday and just heard back from them.  It's not good.  No compression on Cyl. 4 and gas in the oil.  They said it was not worth putting the money into.  I feel like I lost my best huntin' dog   :'(  :'(  :'(

I think I am putting it on Craigslist and list whats wrong with it.  Maybe someone wants to buy it for parts.  Hopefully I can get $500 for it.

Offline Roy

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 06:11:14 pm »
That sucks, sorry Clint.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 10:48:08 pm »
I'm sorry Clint, that's tough.

George
St Paul, TX