Author Topic: Lemonwood  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Maxspin

Lemonwood
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:02:41 pm »
I was trying to track down some hardwood other than Red Oak or Maple from the local Box stores. I could find stuff but nothing with grain that I would even consider for making a bow. I was finally referred to a wood store that was supposed to have an archery department. They didn’t have what I was looking for, BUT he had this Lemonwood……

So I have a piece of lemonwood 2 5/8” x 4 ¼” x 72”
I did a search on lemonwood and only found one reference as to dimensions.
Bamboo backed Lemonwood. 
(68" to 70" 1.25" wide at the handle to halfway up each limb.)

Does this sound right for bamboo or hickory backed Lemonwood. I think I can get 9 boards 1 ¼ x ¾ but it would be close. I would hate to screw up the wood by being greedy.

Keith

blackhawk

Re: Lemonwood
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:22:53 pm »
ill answer your question if ya send me a couple of those boards  >:D

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:28:40 pm »
If its expensive or hard to get than don't be greedy, if you are nervous about it than try for 7  and watch the grain when you are splitting-I don't know about lemonwood, just a general thing to watch out for
-Billy
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:36:06 pm by Youngboyer2 »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:48:06 pm »
Lemonwood is extensively used for ELBs backed with Hickory (and has been since Victorian times).
I'm working such a stave that someone gave me ready glued up. The Lemonwood has barely visible grain. This stave had been glued up over 10 years ago and it almost looked like MDF until I put a spokeshave to it. Saws really easy and I don't think it's any good in tension but fine in compression. Don't think it's too worried about grain alignment within reason.
Del
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:28:38 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:31:21 pm »
I've made a few bamboo backed lemonwood bows and am working on one now. I would rip your boards to 1 1/2" wide to give yourself a little room in case you want to build a shorter bow.
Gordon

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 02:06:53 am »
Lemonwood's deserved reputation has been forgotten. Many times more unbacked lemonwood ELBs have been made, starting in Victorian times, than backed ones.

All the old archery books, when speaking of lemonwood, say it can be worked with no consideration of the grain, because it's grain is so interlocked. The old writers always recommended it for a first bow project because it was almost foolproof. Duff, Elmer, Stemmler, Adolph Shane and their contemporaries all said those making their first bow should use lemonwood.

Backing won't hurt anything, but it's not needed. i have a 42# lemonwood that is at least  70 years old. It's unbacked and still shooting.

Jim Davis
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:10:03 am by asharrow »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 03:27:31 am »
   Keep the facts coming guys very cool!!!
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 06:33:59 am »
I wonder if anyone has ever confused Lemonwood with the wood from a Lemon tree, maybe after picking a lemon to slice into their G&T.
Anyone made a bow from the wood of a Lemon tree?
Del
@ Asharrow.
Interesting post, it's good to learn something new.
 I'll look out for unbacked lemonwood bows when I next visit any museums. Prob is a lot of old bows have aged down to a similar colour (except the steel ones  ::) )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 08:15:21 am »
 The only draw back in it dose devolops sting follow time time. I always pick up bows at yard sells or flea markets to give to kids. I picks up lots dozzens of ols bows from the 40 ,50, 60's that were factory made. I hav'nt found a one with out string follow lots 3 or more inchs.
   I 've never made a board bow or a lemonwood bow for that matter but I say back it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 10:39:20 am »
I'm surprised you've got lemonwood. It only grows in Cuba, and it's not imported into the USA. Can't even get it in Canada.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 10:02:08 pm »
The only draw back in it dose devolops sting follow time time. I always pick up bows at yard sells or flea markets to give to kids. I picks up lots dozzens of ols bows from the 40 ,50, 60's that were factory made. I hav'nt found a one with out string follow lots 3 or more inchs.
   I 've never made a board bow or a lemonwood bow for that matter but I say back it.

I find them like that too. Same for hickory. My thought is that some one of the previous owners or his kids left the bow strung all the time. A bow that lasts for  70 years or so is bound to have had at least one ignorant owner.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:25:30 am »
The guy I got it from says that it came from South America. Not sure if there is another source outside of Cuba, or a middle man to get around the embargo. Didn’t ask. Doing some research, this is the same source where other guys have gotten Lemonwood, so I am confident that it is the real deal.
I will follow good advice and go for 6 blanks at 2” x ¾” x 72”. Leaving options open.

Thanks
Keith

Offline gpw

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 10:14:07 am »
 If you glue on a thin Hickory , or even more Lemonwood backing , with a couple inches of "Perry reflex", by the time it takes a set , it’ll be Straight !!!  A successful trick we’ve used many times ...  ;)

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 11:19:25 am »
I'm surprised you've got lemonwood. It only grows in Cuba, and it's not imported into the USA. Can't even get it in Canada.

I thought it also grew in Dominican Republic and Haiti, but I could be wrong.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 08:38:20 pm »
Ahh, you must be who I heard in the background when Brian Melton called. ;D I thought it came from Cuba, also. Isn't the proper name, Degame?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?