Author Topic: Bow string length?  (Read 1846 times)

Offline tgtmatt

Bow string length?
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:54:05 pm »
So I made my first bow string out of Dacron B-50 and when I braced my bow I was not sure if the string should be shorter or longer.

When fully braced the string to the inside of the handle was about 7 inches, that seems kind of high to me.

When I had the bow braced with the polyester braided string it was not nearly as high of a brace. Here are some photos.

Offline tgtmatt

Re: Bow string length?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:01:47 pm »
String length is 65 3/4" and the bow is about 69 ntn

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:23:41 pm »
A 7" brave seems about normal for me on a bow of that length.   

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:42:49 pm »
Okay thanks, I was just shooting it and it seems to be doing pretty well. Now if only I can figure out how to aim it correctly  ::)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 03:46:03 pm »
I brace my bows at my fistmele, about 6" to 6 1/4" from the belly of the bow.  Your bow looks to be braced a little high but it shouldn't hurt anything. After the string stretched the brace will be lower.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 05:49:13 pm »
As a rule I don't brace that high.  I usually shoot for 5 1/2 to 6".  There are benefits to a higher brace height though.  Improved accuracy in some cases (reduced parallax), reduced wrist slap, more clearance for the feathers.  As Pat said, it will probably stretch and end up lower.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 09:21:56 pm »
Pappy told me to let the bow "sweat" a little and the string will stretch.  Let er be strung for a while. and run a piece of leather while it is at brace along the string about 20 times and you should be good. 
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 09:38:46 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll measure it soon and see where the string stands.

Offline Roy

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 01:50:42 am »
B-50 will stretch like crazy for a while, then settle down. Shoot about 20 to 30 arrows and your brace height will drop at least an inch I would bet. I brace my wooden bows at 6 to 6.5. I suppose you know how to shorten or lengthen the string to achieve the brace height you want. But if you don't know, to shorten the string and raise the brace height, unstring the bow and let the top loop slide down the top limb, then slide the string off the bottom limb. If you slide the bottom loop off the bottom limb and twist it counter clockwise, your string will get shorter. If you twist it clockwise your string will get longer.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:58:43 am by Roy »