Author Topic: First dry scrape buckskin  (Read 5026 times)

Offline iowabow

First dry scrape buckskin
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:38:13 pm »
All my other hides were wet scraped and I really like the dry process. I understand now about getting the hair layer off much better now. Took 4 hour to dry it out and that is the fastest so far but it is cold in Iowa and figure it would go faster in summer. Turned out real real soft.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: First dry scrape buckskin
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 02:38:43 pm »
Pic

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:24:40 pm »
Looks real soft John ;D I just took2 out of the freezer, fleshed an ready to rack an dry, I have done a few wet scraped with mixed results, looking foward to doing a few dry scrape.  Bob

Offline primitivepaulette

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:16:29 pm »
Looks VERY VERY nice! It looks like a buck's hide to me? What are your plans for it now?

You're way ahead of me! I have a guy that wants some moccasins and that looks like just the right leather to me.. I wouldn't mind a pair myself.. I need to get BUSY!

Yes the skins do dry outside here in northern mi this time of the year. Slowly! We have a woodstove in our basement but it's almost TOO hot for ME to soften skins near it!

You've done a beautiful job on that skin.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:30:28 am »
I like to do my racking and dry scrapping in the winter,I usuall work out side.the summer it is harder to get them dry enough to scrap good because of the humidity
and the fly's and ants are much worse. :) Nice looking hide John. Did you brain tan it ? A good cold day with sunshine in the winter in TN. they dry quickly even if it is below freezing ,I just set the rack up in the sun with the hair side out. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:59:33 am »
@primitivepaulette thank you. I want to make a jacket from the four hides i have been working on

@ Pappy for the great info. I was wondering whether that would work or not
 I have been using neatsfoot oil and soap. Do you believe it works the same?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:30:31 am »
Never tried it John but your hides look soft,all I do is brain tan,pretty limited in my experence with any other way,I have never even tried wet scrapping. Just learned this way and to hard headed to change I guess.  :o Do you plan on smoking them ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:47:54 am »
Never tried it John but your hides look soft,all I do is brain tan,pretty limited in my experence with any other way,I have never even tried wet scrapping. Just learned this way and to hard headed to change I guess.  :o Do you plan on smoking them ?
   Pappy
Yes I plan on smoking the hides. I was thinking of building a smoker like the 1 you have at Twin Oaks. Do you have any pictures handy of the way that is constructed?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:13:58 am »
I will look,the main thing is to keep the heat away and only get smoke.If I don't have a picture handy I will take some this weekend. I have been using punk wood for the smoke ,but it is getting harder to fine,I plan on trying some wet sawdust and see how that works,people around here smoke tobacco in the barn ,it's called dark fired for chewing and snuff so there is plenty of that around.I will let you know how it works. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 10:17:07 am »
John ,found some stuff that might intrest you.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 10:27:36 am »
And a few more of the smoker and the wire for working the hide and ringing pole. :) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 10:35:41 am »
We use a paints leg at the hide end of the pipe to cut back on the heat. We have also started using close pins to make the hide sack instead of sewing it up,that is much quicker, Just need to be careful to get the pins as close to the edge of the hid as possible so it get a good even smoke,we also take sharp tip sticks [not so sharp that they will punch a hole but where they won't leave much of a spot that the smoke don't get to] and use them to open up the hide once it is hung so the smoke will go all the way around the inside. :) Lots of work but very rewarding when they are finished. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline primitivepaulette

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 11:39:06 am »
Oh man, I am in GOOD company here. People whose lives revolve around hides and skins.. lol! Wonderful to be surrounded by folks with the same passion.   I've been smoking with an old metal quilt rack. the bottom has a tray that I can just put the shortsided pan of coals and then crushed punk wood in.. then I cover the whole thing up with a tarp..
Hard to beat the tube for the fullest volume of heavy smoke.. ever want to smoke good and heavy/golden brown.. hard to beat the pants leg and tube, of course.

Good to find you all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 11:46:17 am »
That looks simple also,lots of way to skin a cat that's for sure. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 11:57:46 am »
Looks good Pappy.A lot like I do it.Your dead on right feeling good about the results.Working time on the hide for me is usually around 8 hours start to finish.I love how misquitoes just stay away wearing the stuff.I like to put them in the house after they are smoked for aroma therapy.I use hickory bark to smoke.
Nice work John.I went down to the goodwill store.Bought an old car coat and used that for a pattern.Worked great.You ought to be able to cinch those seams up tighter than a nats ass using that buffalo backstrap I gave ya.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed