Author Topic: hide glue?  (Read 10460 times)

hunterman

hide glue?
« on: October 13, 2007, 12:12:15 pm »
hey

i was looking at home depot for some stuff and saw that titebond made some liquid hide glue. thought it would be good to have so i bought it. just wondering which is better, dry or liquid.

oh, heres a link to a website that has it too: http://www.hechinger.com/web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid=79030&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_cat=Paint%20Supplies&cm_pla=Franklin%20International&cm_ite=Franklin%20International-Adhesives-79030&cid=F0C8C44394B2C0BA68A4E0183CAA0A9F

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: hide glue?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 12:16:39 pm »
...............dry

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 02:58:29 pm »
Both have uses. I like the quick gelling of the dry. The liquid has additives that keeps it from gelling as fast. I mixed some with my dry glue the other day to get more open time when working.  It worked OK.  You can actually adjust the open time by the amount of time you cook the dry also.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

hunterman

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 03:10:18 pm »
by the sound of it,i guess the best to go with is the dry.

thanks

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 03:15:25 pm »
Ive never heard of dry glue. Is it powder you mix yourself?
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Trapper

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 05:27:30 pm »
Im gonna settle this dry verses liquid hide glue for backing bow , once and for all The liquid hideglue made by titebond works better and is easier than ANYTHING out there , I KNOW , I use it , and if you all dont think Im right then check out my feedback on ebay on bows and then try and argue the point with me. You dont get that kind of feedback using bad glue, you just have too know how too use any kind of glue I go by trapper801 on ebay and those are just a smidgen of the bows Ive actually made. People that say OH The DRY IS BETTER has got to be a arm chair opinion, IN other words they have READ it didnt work they havent NEVER tried the liquid hideglue or they wouldnt have that opinion.   Trapper

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 06:07:07 pm »
OK Trapper, that settles the backing a bow. I also think you get less air between the sinew pieces when you do a sloppy job like I do.  ;) What about other uses though.  ;D  When I wrap arrows or try to glue wood or something of that nature, I like the dry.  When I have wrapped arrows with liquid and sinew, I have had a hard time getting the tail end to stay down.  With the dry it sticks as soon as I lay it down.  Maybe its just user error.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

hunterman

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 06:12:03 pm »
ok then, matter solved :). looks like i bought the right glue in the first place  ;D

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 06:15:46 pm »
           "People that say" Oh the dry is better has got ta be an arm chair opinion" youre quote Trapper. Sorry ta say it aint an arm chair opinion like ya say. Both are good BUT the dry dries faster and has more strength. I dont care how many bows ya made it dosent settle it. Since ya seem ta believe youre background gives ya an edge in this, lets just say on youre platform that I have been makin' bows a lot longer than you. sYou may like it so be it, but it aint any better than the dry as a matter of fact imho it isnt as good. Too each his own right ?.......bob
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 06:19:57 pm by Kowechobe »

Trapper

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 08:05:46 pm »
Bob , You dont have any idea how many bows Ive made or how long I been doin it .  And on top of that you have no idea how old I am.     Like you said too each his own, I cant help it if you dont know how too use it right. As long as we can agree too disagree it will come out in the longrun.   Trap

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 08:23:20 pm »
                 Trapper, I DO know how ta use it right. ha ha ha ! Neither do you know how old I am er how many bows I have made.  But yes lets agree ta disagree ! Sure enuf hahaha ! ;D...........bob

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 08:58:54 am »
Never knew hide glue could cause such a heated debate.  ;D Ya'll have a good day. Mike
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 10:57:15 am »

I cant help it if you dont know how too use it right

So what is the right way to use the liquid? Myself and many others I would assume don't know how to use it. This is not a smartass question-I seriously want to know what the trick is if you don't mind telling it. The only time I've tried it, it seemed to never set up-stayed tacky goo forever. What can you do to get around this?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 11:01:26 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 06:27:07 pm »
Hillbilly, I had the same problems, it stays tacky if exposed to air that has got some humidity to it. Works well for laminations, I wouldn't say the best but it does just fine. Any glue rated over about 2500# per square inch will work. Most of our glues go from about 2700 to 3600 I believe. I think TB3 is about 3200 but been awhile since I checked. Steve

a finnish native

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 07:00:46 pm »
Go fishing, and dry the fish bladders, boil glue from them and voila. better glue than hideglue. oh, and it's waterproof also