Author Topic: need help tillering a sinew backed bow plz.  (Read 12998 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: need help tillering a sinew backed bow plz.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 11:49:32 am »
One thing that will also cause the set is if you are keeping it on the tiller stick at full draw for
a long amount of time. I just use the stick till I can get a string on it,then go to a tillering board.Pull look quickly,mark what it needs and let off,never holding for a long time.Since I quit using the stick for the longer than brace and full draw tiller my set has went way down. :) Just some thoughts.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

a finnish native

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 02:02:30 pm »
even while using a stick a sinew backed bow should not take that much of set. I sill say that it's because of the cow sinew.

Offline akila

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 04:31:15 pm »
Thk, you so much for all your help...i must say this again ...this forum is grate.I think that Pappy is right to...i must say that whenn i put the bow on the tillering stik i leave it strung for to much time becose i dont have the eye verry sharp yet so i think that for evrey scale on the stick i stay for aboute 1 minute untill i realise whatt is to be done, and untill i go and take a picture also so.... the true must be somwhere in the middle.Also the sinew is not  the best that i can find so...this is it.but i beleve that the sinew is the major problem to the set,becose i wass aspecting that the sinew to pull the boe into some reflex after curing his self but this think didnt happent at all...so i realy think that the sinew is the big problem here, and offcourse the fact that i should be more quiqly whenn i look at the bow on the tiller stick.The problem is that here in Romania wi cant find  the variety of materials that you have there so wi must work with whatt wi got.
I want you to ask you one more thing...from the last picture that i post...do you think that i should try to make the bow bend a little more in the middle area ..or i can leave it like that???and finish it ?thk. you all for your help...i will put some picture whenn the bow is finish.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:34:03 pm by akila »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 05:17:25 pm »
I think it looks pretty dang good myself. I wouldn't worry too much about a bit of set, either. That amount shouldn't hurt you at all. The sinew will probably continue to cure with time, also.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 05:56:15 am »
What Hillbilly said. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline akila

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 10:55:10 am »
Thks a lot.. i will finish it this days and i will put some pictures.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 11:15:19 am »
You are using a tillering stick? About 15 years ago my first and last tillering stick helped me start a nice fire in my wood stove. They are infernal abominations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 11:17:29 am »
Sorry about the tillering stick rant. LOL. Over the years everyone seems to expect it from me. :) BTW the stave is bending too much  near the fades. i think someone mentioned that so don't touch that area anymore. I think you need more bending mid limb on too. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 01:37:24 pm »
I use a digital camera while final tillering, while on the tree, have the camera ready, flex the bow, snap a pic real quick then study the picture.   It can be a pain so i only do this for the last inch or two of draw.

Although I agree with the others that the set is no big deal,  I think it tells you that something was not quite as it should be.

Mark

Offline akila

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 01:40:43 pm »
Sorry about the tillering stick rant. LOL. Over the years everyone seems to expect it from me. :) BTW the stave is bending too much  near the fades. i think someone mentioned that so don't touch that area anymore. I think you need more bending mid limb on too. :) Jawge
Hy and thks for advise....yess i dont like it either..this tillering stick,but its the only option for the moment..i have seen that you guys use something  diferent that is much better then this tiller stick,but i dont have room in my house to install a device like that.I will try to work on the mid limb again ..thks a lot.

Offline akila

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 01:43:28 pm »
I use a digital camera while final tillering, while on the tree, have the camera ready, flex the bow, snap a pic real quick then study the picture.   It can be a pain so i only do this for the last inch or two of draw.

Although I agree with the others that the set is no big deal,  I think it tells you that something was not quite as it should be.

Mark

Yess i know..i have to learn to be more quiqly when the bow is on the tillerring stick, and not leave him to much strung on the stick.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 01:49:02 pm »
I understand. Mine clamps into my vice. See Bow Making Directions on my site. jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!

Offline akila

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 06:09:04 pm »
Hy all.....this is the sinew backed bow after some more scraping...and my new tiller tree..it works gr8..its much easey to work with...thks for advise.Is it ok like this or it needs more bending in the mid limb area?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 07:00:37 pm by akila »