Author Topic: Wood haul, starting next ERC...  (Read 3632 times)

Offline oscar3b

Re: Wood haul, starting next ERC...
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 12:39:24 pm »
Sweeney I bet that bow is awesome!  Do you round the belly when you make an ERC bow?  I don't have any experience with ERC yet but I just found a tree on my in-laws' farm that's gonna be mine next year.  I can't wait to try it. 
Ben

Berea, Kentucky
27" draw
30-70# (though I want to build to 125 one day)

Offline autologus

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 02:01:46 pm »
What are the physical dimensions of your bow?  Also how long did you let the staves cure before you started work on them?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 08:48:39 pm »
Here we go...

This should be the braced and full draw.  I don't know where my unbraced pic went.  Effing computers.  Hate em.  Anyway... I just twisted up a string and got it on it and put a few arrows through it raw.  Pretty nice so far.  It seems to shoot better right handed than left, but that could be because my left hand is pretty sore now.  Tendonitis or some such, so maybe I'm just shooting it better right handed.  Still needs more sanding, a finish, a handle wrap, string silencers (I use cut up jute cord.  Cheap.), and some time, but I'll do all that as it gets shot in case tiller needs adjustment. 

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 08:59:14 pm »
Sorry guys.  I just saw your questions...

Oscar: I don't exactly round the belly, or I haven't yet anyway.  I leave it flat to even the compression forces as much as I can.  I do round the edges pretty deeply in, so it could be considered a mild crown I suppose.  Semantics.  Anyway, on the other I had knots running at an angle from the belly out through the side of the limb, so I wanted as much wood left around them as possible.  On this one, I backed it with linen as that was what I had lying around.  Having read that linen is a poor match for ERC, I wanted to distribute the compression forces across the belly all I could, hence leaving it rather flat and smooth.  It does not exactly match any particular historical or prehistorcal design, and I make no apologies for that.  It works (so far).   ;D ;D

Autologus: It is 74" long, a schosch under 1.5" wide at the center of the grip, and I dunno how thick.  It takes me forever because I worry about going to light so I start tillering with dang near a log and rasp it down from there, so I've never measured final thickness; just stopped when I got to a good weight.  I guess that would be an idea for the future huh???  I'll check and see.  Oh, and I cut and split this stuff last week.  It had been standing dead on a friend's place for a while, but I don't know how long.  ERC takes next to no set anyway, so it can be a good thing to start training it to bend while some moisture remains.  Not saying I did that.  Just that it could help.  I split of a piece and started reducing it.  Got it to blank stage and glued on the backing before I went to drill.  At that point it was a pretty small piece of wood and I use wood heat, so it was quite dry. 

Well, I gotta run.  I'll throw up some more pics as (if) I finish it out, and maybe a few detail shots of that one I made a couple years ago, since I have a lot better camera now.