Author Topic: Wood haul, starting next ERC...  (Read 3631 times)

Offline sweeney3

Wood haul, starting next ERC...
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:35:33 pm »
Went to collect some hickory with another fellow the other day.  Got a couple bonus pieces too...

Offline sweeney3

Re: Wood haul, starting next ERC...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:37:54 pm »
I have begun the next ERC longbow.  It's a ways from a bow yet, but it's getting there...

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 11:41:11 pm »
And one more... The knots cleaned up pretty well in the reduction process.  Right now the blank is an even 75" long.  I'm thinking I'll leave it at that or maybe 74" and shoot for about 48-52 lbs.  Going to try to get a backing on it Thursday so it can cure well over this three day drill weekend.  Might have to put it aside to whip out a board bow for a couple of students though.  I said I'd get them done over the holiday break, but I got distracted...

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 11:48:26 pm »
Wow that is some beautiful wood... If you ever want to trade some send me a pm... I would love to get my hands on some.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:04:26 am »
Beautiful.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline KShip85

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:03:27 am »
Man, I'm jealous.  I love ERC, can't cut enough of it!  I've got staves laying around the have bows planned that I simply haven't gotten to.  Looks like you are going to have a beautiful bow there.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 11:24:23 am »
Got tip tapers roughed out.  As usual, I'm not totally square, but that's usually okay.  If it makes it to bow status and doesn't like being shot right side up, flip it over. 

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 02:24:16 pm »
Wow that ERC sure is nice wood. Looks like you got some really nice pieces. How is this stuff for ELB's? Can it handle the sort of weights like 120# 130#?
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 02:38:56 pm »
i can handle upwards of 110 but that might be pushing it, it would be wise to make the bow longer because it is very explosive.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 03:21:45 pm »
The little bit of erc I've been working recently has been very difficult in not impossible to work with a rasp, as it is super prone to grain tear out, and seems a bit brittle. Have you been experiencing anything similar?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 03:25:20 pm »
   Is that amount of heart wood typical? Or was it cut at a higher elevation? I'm knew to middle tennessee and I haven't found any w/that much or that pretty of heart wood.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 06:21:55 pm »
I use a rasp for the majority of the middle level roughing and early tillering.  I haven't had any trouble with it before, but you sure wouldn't want to use it too late in the process.  The wood is very soft and a little bit of rasping goes a long way.

As far as heavy ELBs go, I haven't tried that kind of weight.  I've only made hunting weight bows around 50 lbs with it.  As far as the general design goes, they do very well.  ERC is well suited to long bendy handle designs, though you might flatten the back a bit as it's a little tension weak.  In the past I have backed them with rawhide.  I don't have any at the moment, so I'm backing this one with linen.  I know I know... Not supposed to be a good match.  But this one is 74+" long, and only 50ish hopefully, so I hope it will handle it. 

There is nothing special about the amount of heartwood on this one.  The ratio you see is because I removed a large amount of sapwood.  Probably an inch and a half or two inches of it.  Ideally, you would of course chase a single ring after doing that.  ERC rings tend to be about a half a pencil lead thick and all kinds of windy, so I just tried to get it as smooth as possible before backing.

The last one I made was in a similar manner though a bit shorter, at 66".  There are assorted pictures of it with some deer and stuff the past couple years in the Shooting and Hunting thread.  I hope this one turns out as well.  We shall see. 

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:25:43 am »
Getting there.  Got about a three inch brace on it.  This is at 46 lbs from the three inch brace.  Quite a ways to go but it's making progress.  About exploded.......my shoulder.....getting it braced.  Still pretty heavy.   

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 11:43:17 am »
Hey i have about 6 staves that look just like yours.  I noticed that yours have some prop twist.  How did you deal with that.  Does ERC take heat bending well? 

Also two staves have knots about 62-63 in up the stave.  Can  i still make a bow around 55# @ 28?

Your bow looks beautiful so far.  What finish are you putting on it when finished?

Thanks 

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 11:21:12 am »
Got it off the tree last night. 52#@27.5-28", 74" tip to tip. I have pics on my laptop but can't upload the ones from my phone as they are too big. I'll post pics today after work.

Prop twist: I honestly don't worry too much as long as it isn't a lot. I just take wood off the high side and hope for the best.  ???

Heat treatment: I have never tried heat with ERC, but have read that it does not respond well. It is a very brash wood, so if you were to heat treat, I would suppose steam would be better than dry heat. Just a guess though.

Knots: depends how bad they are. I just try to get the back as smooth as I can and back it well, then make the belly knots as smooth as possible. Amateur, I know, but so far so good. I'd say try it and see.