Author Topic: 1st bow effort - too heavy - what to do?  (Read 11747 times)

Offline boughnut

Re: 1st bow effort - too heavy - what to do?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 03:06:44 pm »
I'll apologize beforehand. I've always been told that there is no such thing as a stupid question. You've just changed my mind.

Well I still have yet to hear a stupid question but I have officially now heard the most stupid answer I have ever heard.  I also opologize in advance.

and to answer the question a planer will work for most of the limb but when initially reducing mass to get to floor tiller stage but with tillering or removing weight you want a tool that will be a little more forgiving and that offers a more even wood removal

Sorry thought somthing should be said that was just wrong.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 03:11:50 pm »
I've seen some micro adjustable planes that supposedly could take off 1/1000 of an inch. I say seen because the were more expensive than any tool I own....don't think that would be in the OP's game plan.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 03:16:42 pm »
Agreed boughnut. Perhaps someone could just remove the comment in question from the post. It's not really in keeping with the spirit of this forum. I'm sure it was an oversite or misguided comment ,as I've never seen that  sort of response from him.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 03:38:52 pm »
Welcome aboard ThomasJ.  I think you made a great first effort.  My first few ended in splinters, so you are starting out better than I did. 

I have a found a farrier's rasp to be a very helpful tool.  They are twenty bucks or so.  You can find them at Feed Stores, Tractor Supply, and some hardware stores.  They are used for horse hooves, but they work great for bowyers.

As far as the linen backings, I went to a fabric store and bought a yard of 7 oz. linen canvas that I have used for backing on several bows.  It works great.  Glue it down just the way you did on Sam Harper's sheet rock tape and you will find it works better.   

The Traditional Bowyer's Bibles are well worth the price and Jawge's site and bubby's build along on this site should fine tune your efforts.  I can tell by looking at your post that you are going to build some great bows.  Stay with it and good luck.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 03:49:50 pm »
I'll apologize beforehand. I've always been told that there is no such thing as a stupid question. You've just changed my mind.
This is actually down right polite compared to the PM he sent me in response to asking about what people recommended for finishing arrows.

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:34 pm »
2nd on the Farriers Rasp. You will never touch the Sureform again. You will be amazed at how fast the Farriers Rasp will take off wood.
Get yourself a bow scale / fish scale / luggage scale. Never pull your bow past your intended draw weight. You will get better at floor tillering. Took me for ever to get my first tillered because I put it on the tillering tree when it was WAY too stiff to start with. Take your time. The bow being too heavy is not a bad thing...... To light (Now that's a problem).

Keith

Offline boughnut

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 05:20:52 pm »
This is actually down right polite compared to the PM he sent me in response to asking about what people recommended for finishing arrows.

You should report it.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 05:42:57 pm »
You guys are all correct in being upset with me. What started out as a great day turned into a disaster and I had no business of any kind turning my frustrations toward Kevin or anyone else for that matter. I sincerely apologize to all of you for having to have read my idiotic rants and especially to you Kevin.
Fred Arnold
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ScottN

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 09:33:32 pm »
I use the "mystic scraper" that I bought from 3 rivers archery. very good quality for the price.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/mystic+scraper_i6301_baseitem.html
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline ThomasJ2352

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 12:05:14 am »
Wow...thanks again to all the great comments...now its time to get more tools (Oh darn). Regarding making more bows...I already have a couple
in mind....reminds me of my old boomerang days where I, in sawing out a pattern in the living room, cut right into the coffee table "boy this
wood sure is tough stuff....uh oh...where's the wife". It will be a few days before I can get back at it but when its done I'll post a pic or two...
as long as it doesn't blow up in the process!
Tom

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 12:15:06 am »
There are some truly great build alongs on youtube, one even has a guy making a Mollegebat using only a four in one rasp and a red oak board from Lowes.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 06:19:30 am »
Welcome to PA Kevin... Just my two cents in tool selection since I started this addiction last year.

1.) 3 scraper set from Wood Crafters or something like that for $15
2.) Farriers rasp and some finer rasp to remove deep tool marks $25
3.) Draw knife from Wood Crafters i think its 8 inches or so $60

Those three listed are my basic tools I use all the time to make bows. Currently I just picked up a Spindle/ Belt sander set up made by Ridgid which ROCKS!!!

GO slow and have fun... nothing is more exciting than making your own weapon... specially if your are addictive to bowhunting as much as I am. Good luck and again SLOW wins the race!!!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 08:37:45 am »
  Build a tillering tree with a scale.
  Start over.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 10:48:05 am »
Good job so far, and welcome to PA.
Graylan

Offline darwin

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 12:57:56 pm »
the best advice I can give is to read everything you can get your hands on. This sight is great, loads of information and very helpful people, but i would also recommend the bowyers bibles especially the first as it will explain the factors that go into making a bow fast and accurate as well as giving you a build along type guide. The build along stuff on this forum is also a great place to start even if your building something completely different from what that person is doing you will still learn all kinds of helpful info. as for tools I like scraper, hatchet, draw knife, rasp, and sandpaper for finishing. sometimes i cheat and use a belt sander, but i would avoid all tools that remove wood quickly as they are the quickest source of errors.